• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Old School Candy

Repo Man

Cyburbian
I was in a gas station at lunch and I saw that they had "Now and Laters" I haven't had one (or even seen them) in a long time so I bought 2 packs, my old favorite, Grape and this new "Red Radberry" flavor. As I was chewing on them I fondly looked back on the candy that I enjoyed as a kid. Some of my faves were

- Lik-em-Aid (Sugar stick that you dipped in more sugar!)
- The Ferra Pan (?) candies like Alexander the Grape, Atomic Fireballs, Lemonheads.
- Black Cow (basically a Sugar Daddy covered in chocolate)
- Candy cigarettes

What about you?

BiteMeElmo

Cyburbian
I used to love sweet tarts, pixie sticks, wax coke bottles, hubba bubba, fun dip (lick m aid), and Thrills, the gum that tastes like soap.

One of my favorite candies was mojos

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I still eat a bunch of atomic fireballs in the winter

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Stix (I think they were just long flat jolly ranchers).
The 5 cent suckers that burst into powder the moment you bit into them.
The gum from Topps sports cards.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Fun Dip/Lik-m-aid
Red Vines!!!!
Pixie stix (sugar in a straw!)
Now n later
Abbazabba
Bazooka gum
Smarties (the US kind, not the Canadian kind)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
POP ROCKS!

Pixie Sticks

Dots (the kind you had to peel off the paper but never got all the paper off but you didnt care)

nerudite

Cyburbian
Candy I *never* liked: black licorice and neccos. Neccos are just nasty nasty nasty.

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
resse's peanut butter cups, skitles, starbursts, bazooka gum.. hmm at least those are the ones that come to mind, form what I ate in the US (no good mentioning local candy :p)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Waiting for the inevitable "candy in Canada/Australia/NZ/the UK is better than American candy" post in three ... two ... one ...

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Chet said:
POP ROCKS!

Pixie Sticks

Dots (the kind you had to peel off the paper but never got all the paper off but you didnt care)
You know, some people still think that if you drink warm dr. peper with a mouth full of pop rocks you will die.

kms

Cyburbian
I liked a candy named Fruit Punch. They were little tablets, like Pez (good, too).
GoodnPlenty
licorice, black and red
baseball bats, kind of taffy lollipops
AS an adult, I loved a candy bar that I think was called Bar None, made by Hershey. I don't think they make them anymore.

Once, at a mall, a marketing company invited to a room to taste test and compare chocolate bars!! but they wouldn't give me a sample of the new bar they were testing, and it never made it to market.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Dan said:
Waiting for the inevitable "candy in Canada/Australia/NZ/the UK is better than American candy" post in three ... two ... one ...
Candy in Canada is better than candy in the US. Damn. I suppose it will soften the blow when they take over, though. I'm with Repo on the candy cigarettes. There were two kinds, chocolate ones wrapped in paper, and the sugar ones which I loved. I wonder why I don't see them in stores anymore.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Repo Man said:
I was in a gas station at lunch and I saw that they had "Now and Laters"
Nomalaters! Well, at least that's what the folks in my neck of the woods called them. There's also the related Good n' Plenty and Mike and Ike, which I don't see much of lately.

I loved those chalky, sugary candy cigarettes. Other treats that I remember fondly include Nerds, those colored candy dots on long rolls of cash register tape, Necco wafers, bubble gum cigars, and rock candy.

Those candy necklaces that you could eat a piece at a time always were fun.

What about the wax candy that had some sort of flavored water inside? You were supposed to take the top off and drink the liqid inside. My frinds and I always ended up chewing on the wax. It tasted better than the juice inside.

Did anyone save mallo cup points ( 1, 5, 10, 50 etc) in order to get free candy? I remember saving for years and never did get enough points.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Reese's Peanut Butter cups ...... mmmmmmm

....and you can't forget the Lemon Heads, and the Grape candy?

donk

Cyburbian
Was at a local store last night and they had Hot Tamales, a cinnamon flavoured candy, remember them fondly from being a kid. Bought a box and they were as good as I remembered.

I love black licorice, Panda Brand is the best it is all natural and really good.

Big Turk Chocolate bars - basically a chocolate covered grape jube jube.

With you guys on the Fun Dip/Lik-m-aid.

Jelly beans, especially black.

just remembered another one - bottle caps, basically a sugar candy in pop flavours in the shape of a bottle cap.

Last edited:

SGB

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
Candy I *never* liked: black licorice and neccos. Neccos are just nasty nasty nasty.
Sorry, Nerudite. I've got to disagree. Licorice Necco wafers are my favorites.

Tom R

Cyburbian
yum

We used to take Lik-m-aid and put ir in a bottle of Lotta Cola and then hold it to our mouths and try to keep ahead of the foam. Along with foam out the nose, I swear it came out my ears.

How about B B Bats and for the movie Ju-Ju-Bees, those little hard plastic things that would pull the filling out of your molars.

Blue popscicles were good.

Did anyone have 1c bublegum machines that gave 5c "winners" that looked like little orange baseballs?

Last edited:

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I liked the little plastic garbage pails filled with hard candy shaped like bottles, etc. And the little UFOs, also filled with hard candy.

I also liked candy cigarettes - they're actually back again, strange as it may seem. My nieces' got a whole punch last halloween.

"Bubble King" bubble gum. rock hard, and the flavour lasted about 10 seconds...

Can't beat good old chocolate bars though....

Repo Man

Cyburbian
nerudite said:
My friend's mom worked at one of the Necco plants in Pewaukee, Wisconsin. They always had boxes of them around their house, so we had an endless supply. I kind of like the chocolate ones even through they kind of taste like cardboard with a dusting of cocoa powder and chalk.

I also loved Ju Ju Bees, which I can't seem to find anywhere.

Greenescapist

Cyburbian
When I was little my dad was in adverstising/marketing for various products, including the Willy Wonka candy line. It made me temporarily the coolest kid in the neighborhood and most popular on long school bus rides. My garage was full of samples of Nerds, sour candy, lollipops, gummy candy, etc - all the stuff that my mom though would rot the teeth out of my head.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Fun-Dip
Nerds
Runts
Sweet Tarts
Pixie Sticks - After watching the drug movie Less Than Zero, me and a friend tried snorting lines of Pixie Stick sugar. Needless to say it wasn't near as cool as it looked in the movie.

I always loved candy but, because of my natural overabundance of energy, my Mom would only let me have it as a special treat.

jmf

Cyburbian
Chocolate Charlston Chews - straight from the freezer - yum.

I also used to love the banana penny candy - now I am dating myself!

There are a couple of candy stores in downtwon Halifax which have some of these things. I also have noticed some stores now have Lik-m-aid but there is only one flavour and it is waaay smaller.

SGB

Cyburbian
No one has mentioned Double Bubble bubblegum.

It was around when my Dad was growing up, and it's still here today to aid in my son's future tooth decay.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:

- The Ferra Pan (?) candies like Alexander the Grape, Atomic Fireballs, Lemonheads.
Lemonheads were actually proposed to be the Illinois Official State Snack (they are made in Oak Park, just outside Chicago). Unfortunately, they were beat out by popcorn. Gov. Rod Blagojevich just signed the bill this week. Makes a guy feel good that those folks in Springfield are workin' hard.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Old School Candy

DecaturHawk said:
Lemonheads were actually proposed to be the Illinois Official State Snack (they are made in Oak Park, just outside Chicago). Unfortunately, they were beat out by popcorn. Gov. Rod Blagojevich just signed the bill this week. Makes a guy feel good that those folks in Springfield are workin' hard.
Back when I was in school we got to vote for the state animal. I wanted the underdog skunk to win, but it was beaten by the deer. They do taste better, I suppose.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
i had this thing for Zero bars. I donno if they still make them but i recall they were like white cocolate with something dark cookie/candy like

yum
and gobstoppers!