• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Old/unconventional names for diseases / conditions

AnvilPartners

Cyburbian
Ah, to be from the South

My wife gets "The Vapors" occasionally

Usually remedied by a few swigs of "Rock & Rye" (an old cough syrup -- rye whiskey in a bottle with rock candy) OR a good mint julip

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Isn't this what Michael Jackson says he has? I have bleached out patches on part of my body and have since birth. When I was a tan little kid they were noticeable, now, not so much.
That's the Michael Jackson thing. My daughter has it, they appeared when she was about 4. It's not very noticeable since she has very light skin to begin with.

Doesn't everyone say "The Runs?"

wahday

Cyburbian

Usually remedied by a few swigs of "Rock & Rye" (an old cough syrup -- rye whiskey in a bottle with rock candy) OR a good mint julip
This makes me wonder if there isn't a place for a "home remedies" thread. Anyway, as a sick kid my father occasionally gave me a horrifying elixir comprised of whiskey, cayenne pepper and...wait for it...a raw egg. There may have been some sugar in there, too. Looking back on it, I can see the rationale - egg for protein, pepper for the vitamin C, and alcohol to knock me out and stop my incessant whining. But man was it disgusting going down...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'd keep an eye on it, because it could turn into The Bangles. Symptoms include big hair and walking like an Egyptian. She might come down with The The Clash or The Tubes, before finally getting The Cure

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Anyway, apoplexy is a good one. I have that as a cause of death on my great-grandfather's death certificate. It means stroke.

Hey Dan.... long time, no see. So how long have you been in Austin? You ever get up to Fort Worth? If so, there's a great Buffalo Bar up here.... Real wings, loganberry, birch beer, fish fries, and Genny Creme.

wahday

Cyburbian
No one has mentioned hysteria yet:

The term hysteria was coined by Hippocrates, who thought that suffocation and madness arose in women whose uteri had become too light and dry from lack of sexual intercourse and, as a result, wandered upward, compressing the heart, lungs, and diaphragm.
Nice!

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
when I was a kid, my Dad (WWII vet, so I think this is where it came form) used to say "Bungi-Bungi" (said with a hard G) for any illness we kids got and now I say the same thing to my kids: "wash your hands so you don't get Bungi-Bungi!"

my parents called diabetes "the sugar"

I always wanted to be treated for the modern term for breakdown, "exhaustion" ;)

Lordy, my piles have been acting up something fierce the last couple day.
Sorry to hear that. Fortunately for me, my mucoviscidosis is doing much better -- so much better that some people are trying to suggest I don't really have it at all. I knew this day would come. And I'm still irritated, much as I expected to be.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
my mucoviscidosis is doing much better -- so much better that some people are trying to suggest I don't really have it at all.
I don't reckon I never heard of that there mucodisco-whatever. You sure you just ain't got piles too?

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
It's also intensified if you place a nationality before it. "He's got chickenpox" becomes "He's got the Bolivian Chickenpox." "She's got diarrhea" becomes "She's got the Turkish diarrhea."
:china: The Chinese Virus

:r:

I don't have an issue with the original name of "Wuhan Virus", because it's the name of the originating city, not a nationality. Calling the coronavirus the "Chinese Virus" only seems to justify and fuel racism against Asian-Americans. Also, you know he's doing it to "piss off the libs".

The Asian Flu, also called the Oriental Flu, was a big deal in 1957-1958. I can't imagine what folks would have called it 30 years earlier.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
On the other hand, it's only because of the Chinese policy allowing wet markets that the virus even came to be; wet markets have been shut down before after outbreaks of diseases, but then the government loosens things back up/looks the other way and here we are.

I agree, though, that the way it's presented, the vitriol, is uncalled for.