• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Olmsted Wannabe

mooseindian

Hi peeps.

I'm a graphic designer with a yen for a career change. I came across Landscape Architecture and so far it seems like a good fit: design + outdoors + environmental issues + doing a little bit of good for the world. I wanted to ask any LA's who might happen upon this if they are happy with their jobs, if so why and if not why not. Do you feel a deep sense of gratification?

Also: my math skills are not excellent. I made it to Calc II in college and earned a "D". What kind of math/technical skills are used on a day-to-day basis? Would it be a serious hinderence to be lacking in math skills?

Also also: Any suggestions for getting a better feel for the profession before I head back to school?

Thanks in advance to anyone who responds!!

Cheers,
Tim

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Sorry I didnt respond to this faster, but I'm not an LA by trade and waited to see what others would post. This forum seems to be mostly planners and road geeks (oops sorry Paul, I mean multi-modal transporation geeks) with a few econ dev guys for kicks.

Take a look at the program track for the university program. It's probably more math intensive than real life will ever be. C'mon you LA's lurking on the boards - what are your thoughts??

el Guapo

Capitalist
Planning is perfect for failed Civil Engineering students.

Brian,
You should have told him that he had to pass Calc 3, Diff Eq. and Lapace Transforms to make it as a real Planner. A little Quantum Mechanics never hurts also. :)

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Re: Planning is perfect for failed Civil Engineering students.

El Guapo said:
Brian,
You should have told him that he had to pass Calc 3, Diff Eq. and Lapace Transforms to make it as a real Planner. A little Quantum Mechanics never hurts also. :)
HIJACK!

I myself dropped my business major following a "D" in Accounting. It wasn't my fault - they scheudled the class at 8:00 am!

An on the more dismal side, I skipped the class the day my own father was an un-announced guest speaker. To this day he doesn't know about it!

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
As a planner who spent some time teaching in a very good LA program. I can tell you that math skills help, especially in construction classes, but that you shouldn't be up-tight about it. LA is often a good choice of professions for people who have graphics skills and want to apply them in a different way.

Radio Limbo

So where DO the LA's hang out, anyway? As bturk said, this site seems to be mostly planners. And alt.landscape.architecture gets very little traffic.

Oh, and welcome, mooseindian!

Radio Limbo

Oops, I forgot to start my last post with an OT warning. That warning should be applied to this gratuitous post, too. Apologies!

Re: Re: Planning is perfect for failed Civil Engineering students.

bturk said:

HIJACK!

I myself dropped my business major following a "D" in Accounting. It wasn't my fault - they scheudled the class at 8:00 am!

An on the more dismal side, I skipped the class the day my own father was an un-announced guest speaker. To this day he doesn't know about it!
That makes 2 of us that dropped a Business major after an Accounting class.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
OT (cont)

But why do business majors need accounting? Made no difference for Arthur Anderson's clients.

Mabe

mike gurnee said:
OT (cont)

But why do business majors need accounting? Made no difference for Arthur Anderson's clients.
They need something to plug up 4 years of school with. Most of the stuff they teach in the business classes is never used in the real world.