• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

On the Ballot Today

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
Today is election day. Are there any hot topics on your ballot? Any related to planning?

In Columbus, OH we have a couple of interesting ones

Vote to allow a constitutional amendment to allow courts to order drug treatment. Why this needs to be a constitutional amendment, I don't know.

The planning related one
Woman running for county commissioner wants to get rid of the planning department and contract it out to the regional planning commission.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
In NoVa its a tax to improve transportation

its a deeply devided totaly HOT topic here. NoVa taxes pay for most of the rest of the state-NoVa has horrible traffic/transportation issues. So a tax that will be collected and stay in NoVa for our roads and mass transit (read new metro lines)

Im ALLLLLLL for it

D

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We have a local referendum on whether or not to build a community center.

Our governors race is too close to call, and both major party candidates are horrible "insiders" linked to corruption and scandal. UGG.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Mayoral Race

Just may decide if I'm looking for a new job.

The City Admin and 4 department heads will be out hunting if the **** running against the current mayor wins.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I'm so angry!

One of the first things I did when I moved up here is change my voter registration (I can still vote for WA State ballot measures and any races in Clark County)... but I didn't receive my mail-in ballot! It really pissed me off because there are a lot of good issues in WA State (tax issues, transportation, etc)... and I *always* have an opinion about these things.

Next week, after all the hubbub is over with elections, I'm going to try again.... but still, it doesn't let me vote this time around. :(

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I feel your pain, Nerudite

I am in the process of moving to a differnet town, don't have a utility bill with my name on it yet, and my drivers license still has the old address. When I vote today I have to drive to the district of my old residence. Pain in the arse, but it's just bad timing.

Jeff

Cyburbian
In PA we have Rendell vs Fisher for Gov.

Rendell is getting the vote from the entire City of Philadelphia because Fisher said he doesn't like cheesesteaks.

Really, this was a 15 minute story on the news the other night.

Nevermind the fact that he promises to fight corporate greed. The IRS finally made him file a tax return on Oct 15th (he witheld the return from the public until Monday), and it turns out that "Fast Eddie" made around $250,000 on stock options last year from being on some "Board of Advisors" for some telecommunications company.

But Ed Rendell will be the new gov of PA because people are idiots. This is the guy who wanted to sue gun makers because it was "their fault" Philly's homicide rate was so high.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
Danie hit it here in NVA:

1/2 cent sales tax in NVA for roads and rail. No brainer as far as I am concerned. Unfortunately the no growthers (under the smart growth banner) are out against it because they think the new construction will ONLY benefit greedy developers. Funny bedfellows on this one, they have teamed with the No Tax republicans.

Don't know if it will pass, polls had it pretty even. People tend to not like to tax themselves.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Other than a hotly contested Senate race that's on the national scope because of the balance of power....not much other than a "spiteful" constitutional amendment proposed by the legislature that's pissed off at the Supreme Court after they impeached, but failed to convict the chief justice.....

El Feo

Cyburbian
gkmo62u said:
Danie hit it here in NVA:

1/2 cent sales tax in NVA for roads and rail. No brainer as far as I am concerned. Unfortunately the no growthers (under the smart growth banner) are out against it because they think the new construction will ONLY benefit greedy developers. Funny bedfellows on this one, they have teamed with the No Tax republicans.
On the flip side, the libertarians in MA have placed a question on the ballot to eliminate the income tax. Not that it'll pass (but it WILL get close to 40% without much publicity), but the libertarians just don't get it one this one. I want to keep my guns, and my income tax too (I like roads, and I like my dookie to go far away from my house via sewer - not to mention OTHER benefits to taxes).

BKM

Cyburbian
We also have a sales tax for transportation and a laundry list of "goodies (trails, smart growth sites, etc.)

Sadly, we also have a ballot measure to keep our Utility Tax, which the City "discovered" requires an election after all. If not, a couple of us in my department may be joining boinker (Peoria). I hope not me (I've been here 11 years), but you never know :(.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: Mayoral Race

Mastiff said:
Just may decide if I'm looking for a new job.

The City Admin and 4 department heads will be out hunting if the **** running against the current mayor wins.
Are you in a Strong Mayor town? I survived two mayoral races in a strong mayor system and then decided that I wouldn't do that again (too stressful!)... it's Manager/Council for me for now on. Good luck!

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: Re: Mayoral Race

nerudite said:

Are you in a Strong Mayor town? I survived two mayoral races in a strong mayor system and then decided that I wouldn't do that again (too stressful!)... it's Manager/Council for me for now on. Good luck!
No, not strong mayor at all... But if this community *elects* this woman, it's an indication that they are headed in the wrong direction. And if the CA leaves, and he will, then I have a new boss... someone the new mayor will have a hand in. She's a coucil member now, and if you could only see her actions. Late to meetings... dresses like a slob... is never prepared to the point of not even knowing the agenda... then acts like a five year old during the meeting.

There is way too much to do here to have the elected leader of the city blocking your work... and that's what I think would happen.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
OK, what's happening in Florida (AAAGGHH, my home state!) is terrifying! First, we have Jeb Bush (husband of the customs dodger, brother of Dubya) going against unknown lawyer Bill McBride (all teeth - car salesman type - who beat out Janet Reno in the primary) for governor.
Then, we have the most embarrassing constitutional amendment I have ever encountered, which involves the restraint of pigs (in cages in which they cannot turn around) during pig pregnancy. Why is this a constitutional amendment?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It sounds like you all have some pretty bad election problems. Other than our governor's race (I do not think it is so bad as bturk suggests) there won't be a whole lot decided tonight. Everthing looks pre-decided, and at the county level there is no opposition!

I will be watching Berkely, CA, the entertainment center of American politics. They will be voting on a ballot measure to prohibit the sale of any coffee that is not certified organic or shade-grown or free-trade certified.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
OK, the biologic history of coffee is more bizarre than pig pregnancies; at least our amendment is about animals which can engender some understandable sympathies.

Buffaloness

We've got a hot one brewing in Buffalo. It's about downsizing our common council. 4 seats will be cut, 3 black people and one white will lose their job. The council voted along racial lines and now it is time for a vote.

I went to vote at about 6:30 and every single page in the voting book was full. I have never ever seen voter participation this high in my district. It seems to be near 90%.

Fun Fun.

giovannitp

Cyburbian
Georgia going with Republicans

Looks like the Governor and one of our senators are both going to go to Republicans. I didn't vote for Gov. Barnes because of the whole Northern Arc issue but I'm surprised about this Chambliss guy. I would hate to think that Bush has enough voter confidence to propel his GOP buddies to take over Congress...and my state.

We had this mysterious "Redevelopment Powers Act" on the ballot in DeKalb that looked digestable for the masses but I couldn't tell you what all it covers.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
So how did it all turn out for you guys? Like you thought it would?

Here in Michigan, Jennifer Granholm will be govenor. Having some mixed feelings about that. I think it is awesome that she is the first female Govenor, and she is I think the first Democrat to hold the position in 40 years. However, I've been following the campaign, and she comes across like a first class &%$@#!!! You know, I am all for being a proud strong female, but this is ridiculous. She seriously is worse than Hillary.

Whatever happened to the coffee and pig issues??

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
The Va roads tax was defeated-i am shocked

the folks (read republicans from the sample ballots i got) actualy pitched themselves as "smart growth" and said smart growth would say fixing the roads situation was going ot lead to more problems.

1)nope the roads tax would not "fix the problem but it would keep the status quo
2) why the HELL am i paying so much taxes for roads in...Wytheville (i think thats how its spelled) BFE no where?
3) mass transit is a GOOD idea but some how new metro lines will "encurage" sprawl. never mind the proposed lines would go in areas already built out ie Tysons, to Dullas airport etc.

did i miss something some where? At least folks did get out and vote in droves from what the elections folks were saying last night. Take hope in small blessings.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
"Whatever happened to the coffee and pig issues??"

SW MI Planner, the pregnant pigs are now safe in Florida!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
bturk said:
We have a local referendum on whether or not to build a community center.

Our governors race is too close to call, and both major party candidates are horrible "insiders" linked to corruption and scandal. UGG.
Follow up: The referendum was soundly defeated with a 70% NO vote.

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
The consitutional amendment for drug treatment was defeated.

A huge school bond issue passed soundly.

The county commissioner who wanted to get rid of the planning department was defeated 51 to 49 percent. Close call on that one.

Jen

Cyburbian
SW MI Planner said:
So how did it all turn out for you guys? Like you thought it would?

Here in Michigan, Jennifer Granholm will be govenor. Having some mixed feelings about that. I think it is awesome that she is the first female Govenor, and she is I think the first Democrat to hold the position in 40 years. However, I've been following the campaign, and she comes across like a first class &%$@#!!! You know, I am all for being a proud strong female, but this is ridiculous. She seriously is worse than Hillary.
Well i'll be dipped, Jen is gov!!!!???

Cool, though call me sentimental good ol boy John Engler was starting to grow on me,
AND Hudsonville is still a DRY city.!!!Great , :( we'll see how long the Pinnacle Center will continue to get great music.Ok so they'll still get the alt gospel rock bands, but If'n Im at a show spending $3.50 to whet my whistle it had better be a beer!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Anyone from the San Fernando Valley?

I hear the Valley Secession was defeated and that now L.A. is thinking about moving to boroughs in order to address the growing discontent of outlying communities. Does anyone know of this proposal or how it would work?

-- Just an interested ex-Valley Girl. Fer sure.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Michael Stumpf said:
It sounds like you all have some pretty bad election problems. Other than our governor's race (I do not think it is so bad as bturk suggests) there won't be a whole lot decided tonight. Everthing looks pre-decided, and at the county level there is no opposition!

I will be watching Berkely, CA, the entertainment center of American politics. They will be voting on a ballot measure to prohibit the sale of any coffee that is not certified organic or shade-grown or free-trade certified.
Lol... I hadn't heard about this yet. It sounds like something that would have gone on in Davis, CA. If it passes in Berkeley, it's only a matter of time 'til Eugene and Bellingham jump on the bandwagon. Mmmmm... organic coffee.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
For those worried...

The mayor retained his seat by 70 votes. That's damn near a landslide here...

Floridays

Cyburbian
More important than the pregnant pig issue -- South Florida ran a smooth election! Woo hoo! I was volunteered to work at a polling place, and I am VERY relieved that it's over. Exhausted, but relieved.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: For those worried...

Mastiff said:
The mayor retained his seat by 70 votes. That's damn near a landslide here...
Sweet... now you don't have to pound the pavement. Oh wait... maybe in that part of Oregon they only have dirt roads still. :)

nerudite

Cyburbian
BKM said:

Sadly, we also have a ballot measure to keep our Utility Tax, which the City "discovered" requires an election after all. If not, a couple of us in my department may be joining boinker (Peoria). I hope not me (I've been here 11 years), but you never know :(.
So how's it going today BKM?

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: Re: For those worried...

nerudite said:

Sweet... now you don't have to pound the pavement. Oh wait... maybe in that part of Oregon they only have dirt roads still. :)
This coming out of Alberta?! Even the logging roads are paved around here...

But yes, I'm glad to be staying.

BKM

Cyburbian
Nerudite: Good and bad

The citizens passed Measure H, which means we get to keep our 2% utility tax. There are some folks in my department that are sleeping a little easier. Including myself. I really don't want to do current planning (I'm not very good at it, to be honest), and staff cuts of two or three people mean that I would have had to-even if I survived.

Our transportation tax did not get the 2/3 vote (59% or something). I voted for it-it did have some interesting goodies attached (including funding to buy an infill/mixed use site right in the heart of one of my project areas). Have to admit I had real mixed feelings, though. Solano County is located right at a bottleneck in the Bay Area freeway system, and Measure E would have provided funding, EVENTUALLY, for this major undertaking (I-80/I-680 backs up EVERY evening now). I know that it needs to be fixed, but I'm just not sure that a sales tax is the right approach. Plus, fixing it, to me, encourages/facilitates further population growth for commuters to the Bay Area. I know California needs housing, and I know I am being selfish and unrealistic, but in my heart I would love to "just say no" to more traffic and population growth. As a rational planner, I know that can't be, but emotionally . . .

nerudite

Cyburbian
BKM...

I hear you on the planner/resident philosophical dichotomy... I think we've all been there. I-80 is going to be a headache forever (unless the "big one" hits sometime soon). I think I heard that there was an average speed projection between Reno and San Francisco of 20 m.p.h. on I-80 in the year 2025. (Something I read when I lived in Davis a million years ago).

It's such a regional problem, and I don't think a sales tax will be enough to even make a dent. Wasn't there a proposition several years ago to extend light rail between Sacramento and San Francisco? Or maybe it was enhanced commuter rail. Maybe something like that will help... but the money it would take to do it is astronomical.

In some ways it may be good that the transportation facility sales tax was defeated... because it IMO 2% sales tax won't fix the situation and when people are still sitting in traffic several years from now, they would all be pissed about how much money they spend in taxes... And spending without results may risk actually having a proposition with a worthwhile solution be shot down by voters later.

The good news is that you still have the utility tax. It's always hard when money like that is lost... look at Prop 13. :(

Glad to hear your job is safe!

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: For those worried...

Mastiff said:

This coming out of Alberta?! Even the logging roads are paved around here...

But yes, I'm glad to be staying.
We don't need paving... we have permafrost to drive on. ;)