• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

on the move

boiker

Cyburbian
unexpected budget repairs have reactivated my former position with the City of Peoria, Illinois that I was laid off from in Sept 2002. I was offered a rather competitive compensation package and have chosen again to change jobs and go back to Peoria. I start in Mid-Jan.

Wish my family luck in the transition and wish Mendelman luck with coping with the increased workload.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Good luck at the job! Does this mean that you'll have internet access again at work and get to visit us more often?

Rem

Cyburbian
Good luck - it must give you some satisfaction that they want you back.

boiker

Cyburbian
trust no one

I've recieved several reassurances that the callback is not intended to be temporary. Additionally, the interm director was able to have council secure the funds for future budgeting years.. in that funds designated for planning cannot be redistributed or allocated to remedy budget shortfalls in other departments.

Of course, like with all public jobs if everything tanks, the city budget will tank with it.

I figured this much. I really enjoyed the job in Peoria and I have a lot of unfinished work there. It's also a place where I'd like to spend 5-15 years to restore an historic home and help reinvent and redevelop the older urban areas of the community. I feel the potential is there.

I felt the real risk to me was that if I did not sieze this position now, I might never get a chance to take again. Luckily, my wife supports this decision 100% and I have a gut feeling that the economy is on a stable, slow upswing.

donk

Cyburbian
Good luck and say hello to one of my favourite authors and Peoria residents, Philip Jose Farmer (Riverworld, Nothing Burns in Hell, World of Tiers)

BKM

Cyburbian
Congrats, Boiker. Although I lived in Peoria during one of its "low points" (1982-84), the City has a fascinating history, a great old building stock (Moss Avenue rules!), and, a rarity for Illinois, some interesting topography. I would miss Chicago, but not Hoffman Estates :)

boiker

Cyburbian
BKM said:
Congrats, Boiker. Although I lived in Peoria during one of its "low points" (1982-84), the City has a fascinating history, a great old building stock (Moss Avenue rules!), and, a rarity for Illinois, some interesting topography. I would miss Chicago, but not Hoffman Estates :)
yes, as has been mentioned in some thread somewhere, Peoria is far from their lows.....and far from their potential highs.

I'll make it a point to catalog Moss Ave. for everyone on this board.. I know I uploaded a few of the properties.

Yes, the topography is interesting. it goes up and down about 90 feet. For us flat-landers that's enough to make our ears "pop" :)