• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

On the subject of communities and voting....

jresta

Cyburbian
I haven't voted in Pennsylvania yet but in New Jersey they still use the old machines with the levers. You pull the lever next to the candidate you want and an "X" appear next to the name. When you're done selecting you pull the green lever, the holes are punched mechanically, and the machine resets.

You can hear the card being punched and you can hear the new card being loaded so it's pretty obvious when it malfunctions.

Electronic voting scares me, a lot. Especially since the Diebold hierarchy has long been in bed with the current White House gang.

otterpop

Cyburbian
We still use paper ballots in my area, where you mark your selections with a black marker. I am dubious of e-voting. My concern is it could be fraught with glictches and potential for fraud. A skilled hacker could ruin an election. Many of the older voters will not be able to understand the technology.

biscuit

Cyburbian
jresta said:
I haven't voted in Pennsylvania yet but in New Jersey they still use the old machines with the levers.
I don't know about the rest of Pennsylvania, but Allegheny County used the old lever machines in the one election I have been here to vote in.

I too am VERY weary of e-voting. I know the arguement is that computers don't make mistakes, like leaving hanging chads, but not having a paper record of each and every vote seems like nothing more than an open invitation for fraud. For more than two centuries we've managed to elect our leaders with paper ballots without too much trouble and I just don't hear the outcry to make the process digital.

BKM

Cyburbian
My County (Solano County) used Diebold machines last election. There were enough problems that the Secretary of State has basically banned them from Solano County and sevreal other counties.

The machine used doesn't matter when you have County election staff that have conveniently "lost" your registration or the Sheriff "erroneously" reports that you have a felony conviction and cannot vote. But, E-voting seems to make it even easier to commit fraud, with little chance of catching it.