• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 On to Vermont

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
I guess this is a good place to post this, although it is not an introduction, it also seems to fall short of being an announcement. Its just news.

I have managed to fulfill my goal of taking a sabbatical from the West, and will start work as the Town Planner in Williston, Vermont sometime in May. Besides being in a new part of the world (but one I am pretty sure I'll enjoy), it will be interesting and, perhaps, challenging to go back to a local government job after many years of teaching, consulting, and working for a nonprofit conservation organization.

If any Cyburbanite knows of a planning job in the Burlington, VT region, Karen will be interested.

SGB

Cyburbian
Lee -

Williston is a hopping area, with a nice set of planning/ED challenges for you I'm sure.

I know Milton (north of Williston) was looking for a Planning Director recently. Karen should also check with the regional planning commissions. There should be at least 3 or 4 within commuting distance of Williston. The state capital, Montpelier, is also within commuting distance. She should check with state agencies and NPOs there for listings.

Good luck with your move, and enjoy your new responsibilities! And be sure to give NHPlanner a hard time for me at NNECAPA events! ;)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Lee congratulations on the new position and relocation. Vermont is really nice in the summer (all 4 hours of it). Remember, the Throbbing Brain is always ready to help.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Lee Nellis said:
I guess this is a good place to post this, although it is not an introduction, it also seems to fall short of being an announcement. Its just news.

I have managed to fulfill my goal of taking a sabbatical from the West, and will start work as the Town Planner in Williston, Vermont sometime in May. Besides being in a new part of the world (but one I am pretty sure I'll enjoy), it will be interesting and, perhaps, challenging to go back to a local government job after many years of teaching, consulting, and working for a nonprofit conservation organization.

If any Cyburbanite knows of a planning job in the Burlington, VT region, Karen will be interested.
Congrats Lee....I know that Williston has been well served for many years by a good planner, and I'm sure you'll continue the (award winning) work that has been started there. :)

I will definitely keep my eye open for VT opportunities (I get them e-mailed to me all the time as the NNECAPA web guy).....keep an eye on www.nnecapa.org/jobs.html for the latest postings (which I generally cross post in the Kiosk here). Look forward to meeting you in the near future (perhaps in Montpelier at the Fall NNECAPA conference).

Right now the VT forum on Sprawl and the Town of Milton are looking (haven't heard otherwise to pull the ads yet).

and....

SGB said:
And be sure to give NHPlanner a hard time for me at NNECAPA events! ;-)
Don't worry about it SGB....there are plenty of people to give me a hard time at NNECAPA events! ;-)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Congratulations! If you can't be in the west, then Vermont is one of a handful of other great places to be.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Good luck up there!

It should be a nice change (not that I have ever really been in most of the West or anywhere in Vermont :-D )

vaughan

Cyburbian
Good luck, Lee.

You've left a heck of a legacy in the West and inspired at least one new planner. Your work will be missed. Vermont is a great place in a lot of different ways. Be sure to get some good east coast skiing under your belt, go for a hike in the Green's for me, check out the contra-dancing scene at least once, and take advantage of the fact that you can buy practically all of your food locally.

Also- I sent you a PM regarding work in Vermont for you wife.

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
Yes, it is still called Town Planner, which I personally like much better than planning director.

Thanks for all the good wishes!

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Town Planner, which I personally like much better...
Many times I am introduced as an architect( even when just before I tell them that I am a planner) and those who know a little about planning introduce me as a 'Town Planner'.

I quickly correct them by saying , "Actually I am an Urban Planner".

I am a member of the Institute of Town Planners, India( ITPI). I don't know whether they call it similarly in England. Beacuse that's what we follow still.

The main state level planning agency is still called the Directorate of Town and Country Planning. I find it very interesting, the name...

There was an ambitious and very well meaning national level scheme called the Integrated Development of Small and Medium Towns( IDSMT) started around three decades ago. It has failed miserably while annual financial allocations still happen to states to do whatever. Maybe it was too idealistic and real for people to understand the need to attend to small towns for overall development. But that term called 'small and medium towns' really has been etched in my heart.

Talking about small towns( by Indian standards a small town is one with a population of 100,000 to 500,000.

ANyway heres something off topic but still about small towns::)

1.Ever called someone by saying" hey thats small town mentality".
2.In college whenever a girl did well in results academically of in the extra curriculur activities or just got noticed then they guys used to eally coin her" Hey! you know thaaat.. 'Small Town Big T*ts factor'.
( I hope this is not read as discriminatory , but thats what was said, alright!)

PS:
But I must admit that both the above were used mostly in derogatory manner

The Irish One

Congrats on the job. Someone is moving to Vermont and they have a job lined up! You're not a Phish fan are you. :-D

Rem

Cyburbian
Good luck Lee - I have no idea about the town or region you are moving to but I see it gets the Cyburbia seal of approval so it must be good.

martini

Cyburbian
Congrats Lee! I applied for the junoir level position there, but didn't get it, unfortunately. I would have loved to be in the Burlington area. My wife used to be near there in NH, and she loved it. Would've moved back in a heart beat if the chance was there. Good luck in the postion.

Budgie

Cyburbian
WOW, Lee !!! Tell me, you truly are an inner mountain west die hard. This also appears to be a new direction for you. Are we broadening our horizons? I hope all works out well.