• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

One Auto Family

Runner

Cyburbian
Weeeee...
Well, we done, done it !

I just sold my Ford Ranger today. It was a great truck, in immaculate condition, and I almost hated to part with it. BUT, I am trying to practice what I preach about lowering auto dependence. Since I was twenty I have always owned a pickup and now I no longer have a vehicle to my name! Of course Mrs. Runner still has her Toyota Corolla which when it's time comes will most likely be replaced (with a Honda Civic Hybrid or a Mini Cooper). So we still have an automobile, but hey we live in Central Texas. [Public transportation what's that?] To be honest I do have a city car so we still have two cars at the house. BUT, I still feel better and it was nice calling and canceling the insurance coverage tonight. No more insurance, no more gasoline, no more maintenance, no more registration & inspection fees. Weeeeeee...

Time to go for a walk or a run or maybe a bike ride!

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Congratulations. But are there any little Runners? We were able to maintain a one car family until the second child. And now I have four (vehicles).

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Good luck Runner!

I'm hoping to stay a one-car family, and am also looking at trading in my current wheels for a Mini in the near future. I've even got agreement on this from my wife!

Budgie

Cyburbian
Children

There's something about that second child (or in my case, second and third (twins)) that makes a second car hard to avoid. Although, when my distance to work is shorter, the second car may be expendable.

Way to go !!! What will you do with all the money you'll save?

Budgie

Cyburbian
Purchase

Yes, I've got my deposit in and I'm waiting for training, which is supposed to start late this month for early March delivery. Segway is setting up trainings in several cities on at least a monthly basis. Purchasers will be notified on training options based on when the order was placed. First come, first serve.

We make numerous small trips (1-4 miles) around town without the kids for which the Segway will be ideal. I'm excited about experiencing sensation of the technology. The Segway is cheaper than most ATV's and jet ski. I loathe driving and will fix the distance to work problem within the next year.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Here's an image, Runner:

A bunch of redneck Texans riding segways down the road shooting at stop signs. ;)

prudence

Cyburbian
Re: Here's an image, Runner:

bturk said:
A bunch of redneck Texans riding segways down the road shooting at stop signs. ;)
But where's the gunrack and beer holder??

All joking aside...Well done on ridding yourself of an unnecessary vehicle.

We used to be a one car family. In the summers we pretty much are, but once winter hits and i can't ride my bike safely to the gym anymore, or rob to his parents, the second car really comes in handy. as it is, we fill the tank on our second car maybe once every 6 weeks, usually closer to 8.

As for our next car, i don't think we'll need a new car for 5 more years, but I do have Rob talked into the civic hybrid. but lord knows what they'll have on the market in 5 years.

Runner

Cyburbian
Re: Here's an image, Runner:

bturk said:
Ya, now that's an image! I shudder at the tought.

Of course they would have to be the heavy duty SUV model though with extra large all season tires...

Does Segway offer an Eddie Bauer edition?

Agreed on the gun rack and cup holder.

Runner

Cyburbian
mike gurnee said:
But are there any little Runners?
No kiddos. Just a big dumb dog and a fiesty parrot.

Agreed that kids would make for a very different situation.

jmf

Cyburbian
Planderella said:
Runner - you and your wife aren't alone...check out this recent NY Times article about one auto families. :)
$8100 for insurance, every year!!! Oh, the many things I could do with that much money! Travel, renovate our house....

Runner

Cyburbian
Yes, I saw that article too. We are still doing fine with one auto, and enjoying the "less stuff" lifestyle :)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Sorry to hear of the loss of your manhood. ;) I grew up in a one-car family and it somehow seemed to work. Why is it that now, everybody seems to need one car more than the number of drivers in the household?

green22

INACTIVE
1 car

your experience sounds like my wife and I getting rid of our 2nd car and then our first car. I admit I feel better about it than she does. She does it for economic reasons only. Getting rid of insurance and the car really gave me a feeling of freedom. The best time was riding through a random road check on my bicycle.