• Back at the office or school? Still working from home? Need to vent, or just connect with other planner and built environment types? Come join us!

Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing or masks required.

Food / drink 🍗 One bourbon one scotch and other hard liquor

DVD

Cyburbian
Since we have a never ending beer thread i thought I could start the liquor thread. So what do you like?

I usually drink Crown or Maker’s in my old fashion. Woodford is another good one. I’m trying Two Stars. I’m not going to recommend it. Buffalo Sweat looks interesting but I haven’t tried it.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Had a Highball last night with Maker's and ginger ale after returning home from volunteering at our Main Street program's Beerfest fundraiser event.

And I typically never drink beer.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Not much of a liquor guy here, but occasionally I enjoy a shot of licoricey Akvavit. I like it ice cold and the alcohol burn is delayed until it hits the back of your throat.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am a gin person - like most brands but Tanqueray is a little too perfumy

I drink scotch or Irish whiskey when I have a cold as my parents always gave me that as a kid (lol, but hey they were Depression, pre penicillin people!)

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
I am a gin person. I really enjoy the London Mule. I tried (because Ryan Reynolds is dreamy) Aviation Gin, and actually liked it. I have been going with that the last couple purchases.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Speaking of mules, I've been meaning to try a Moscow Mule ever since I saw one made on YouTube.

The copper mug is all part of the drink's supposed appeal. It looks nice at any rate. Generally speaking, though, I prefer gin over vodka.

Big Owl

Cyburbian
I have been drinking a local rye whiskey. I first bought because it's local and I know the owners. I keep buying it because it is smooth despite it being significantly more expensive than my usual. If I am drinking a good whiskey, I'll either drink it straight or neat. Of late, I have been using it as a cough elixir. I make a hot toddy. I add little honey and some lemon to the whiskey and mix it half and half with hot water.

Hink

OH....IO
Staff member
Speaking of mules, I've been meaning to try a Moscow Mule ever since I saw one made on YouTube.
View attachment 24305

The copper mug is all part of the drink's supposed appeal. It looks nice at any rate. Generally speaking, though, I prefer gin over vodka.
That is why I drink London Mules. Gin instead of vodka. Makes the drink actually taste good.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
An interesting article about the differences between whisky from Japan and Scotland.

My FIL has been going on for the last several years that the best single malts in the world are from Japan not Scotland.

1614615184536.png
1614615230754.png

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I gave up sugar as part of a Lenten thing and I have only missed alcohol once so far and it was yesterday - really wanted a glass of wine or a negroni

michaelskis

Cyburbian
I gave up sugar as part of a Lenten thing and I have only missed alcohol once so far and it was yesterday - really wanted a glass of wine or a negroni
I gave up carbs and everything but water for Lent, so I feel your pain.

For hard stuff, my go to is Irish Whiskey & Ginger Ale with a splash of lime. I also like Gin & Tonics.

Apple Pie Moonshine is also quite good too.

We have seen an increase in micro-distilleries in the region (legal ones) and from what I hear, home moonshine operations are being more common as well.

Doohickie

Cyburbian
Jameson, Buffalo Trace...

One thing I like is a Godfather made with a double shot of Jameson & a splash of amaretto.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
I by and large stopped drinking hard liquor in 2018 and since than my tolerance has nosedived, one shot and a beer and Im out. I don't miss the hangovers and sickness, but I do miss chilling in bars with friends. During my immediately post College functioning alcoholic days, my whiskey of choice was good ol SEAGRAM'S 7. I turned allot of my millennial friends on to 7 and 7s. I also liked Jameson, Tito's Vodka and Amaretto's. Never got into fireball, jager or any of that type of stuff.

The last time I had any hard liquor was in December 2019, in Chicago, I randomly popped into to a dive bar in Eddgewater and ended up befriending the handful of patrons and bartender, who offered me a free shot of the stuff at the end of the night, because it was a Chicago staple that I hadn't tried. That was a good night!

Doohickie

Cyburbian
That's what I miss about the Before Times.... dropping a bar, befriending the patrons and the bartender and closing the place out.