• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

One Hit Wonders

el Guapo

Capitalist
Judging from the total lack of responses I see to first time posters with requests for assistance, it appears that it is not an effective strategy to register at Cyburbia and then with your first post request that Cyburbia members send to you examples of whatever document it is that you happen to be looking for. Do other members of this majestic body concur that this is not an effective strategy?

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
That reminds me: does anyone have any good examples of how to reduce my workload so that I can sleep in, leave the office early, and still get paid? All responses are hereby gratifully acknowledged.

kms

Cyburbian
I agree. It seems like some "one-hit wonders" want the answers without doing the research. I certainly hope that this community is not the last resort (that's almost a pun) for finding info. It may or may not be the case, but it sure gives the appearance.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
You guys make it sound like this is your personal board... that is, yer all gettin a little bit territorial. I mean, if I was a first time visitor and saw here that you resented the folks who came just for a single question, I sure wouldn't want to come back. Lighten up. If you don't like the questions, don't answer them. Perhaps they should apologize for taking up your time. Along those lines, it's not like anyone is forcing you to visit Cyburbia, let alone engage curious strangers.

planasaurus

Cyburbian
My problem is with the posters who do not seem to follow up with their own posts. I wonder if they bother to look back at the replies, since many do not even reply when asked a question in their own post.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
It's common in many bulletin boards -- folks post a question, but don't follow up when replies are received. I'd like to see 'em participate more, but I can't force people to post.

As for registration, it's a must -- to prevent spam, maintain consistency with user identification (on the old boards, some folks used several aliases, and they weren't even trying to sockpuppet), and permit the more advanced features of vBulletin to be used such as private messages, post counts, and so on. Registration is tandard operating procedure on most Web-based bulletin boards now; there's few places online where you can just post and run. (There's one shortcoming to registration; when you're known on the board, and want to post a message for help regarding a planning issue that you're embarassed to find yourself in, where you feel that you could possibly lost the respect of your peers.)

As far as increasing participation, I think there needs to be more casual chatter around here -- in the appropriate boards, of course. I sometimes visit one "armchair urbanist" related bulletin board that had several times the participation of the Cyburbia forums. These weren't professional planners talking about setbacks and signs, but "city geeks" casually discussing the built environment and comparing cities; i.e. "What's better, Seattle or Denver?" While Cyburbia is geared towards professional planners, "city geekery" and more participation by those who aren't professional planners would be welcome.

There's plenty of folks from outside North America that are registered on the Cyburbia bulletin board, but they hardly ever participate. Planning discussion seems to be NA-centric, but there's hardly any participation from those in English-speaking countries outside of NA that have US/Canada style planning systems, such as Australia, New Zealand or South Africa. Hardly a day goes by that I don't see a registration from folks in Sydney or Jo'burg, but they're obviously keeping quiet.

el Guapo

Capitalist
My take

Beaner,
The point I was trying to develop was that people will tend to take time to help those they know before they would help someone that was just a brief blip on the radar. I know that if someone requests something from me I have to balance their request against the likelihood of their helping me out if I need something. My time is finite. I have other charities I support. I choose selectively.

A few Cyburbia members have helped me in the past and built up a deposit of good will. I am more likely to help them than I am an aynonomous poster. Including you too Beaner. Our often divergent viewpoints aside, I see you posting and I pick up a sense of you as a person. I am more likely to help you than a one time poster named Tempposter6. And I hope that works both ways. I come here to hear things I haven't heard before and learn new stuff. I can hear my own thoughts anytime.

And to address your first point, this is not my board. I know who it belongs too and I am grateful for the opportunity to use it and participate with all of you fine planners.

Last edited:

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Hey Guapo:
married white male, 50 something, short, some brown/gray hair, somewhat fat, likes beer and doing stupid things.

Now that you know me better, would you respond to a query on Cyburbia?

el Guapo

Capitalist
Yep!

Mike,
Tell me something I don't know already. Remember that time the you told me to drive that huge truck into that dumpster? You were a wildman! Dude, we were so wasted! I can't believe they won't drop the charges. We said we were sorry.

P.S. Don't use those ice cubes in the basement freezer. You know why. ;)

Last edited:

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Guapo, you were driving...the dumpster was the big brown thing.

Getting back on track, sometimes I respond to posters privately when I need more info on their problem and/or when it seems very specific or not of a general nature. And sometimes I agree with kms that some posters have no clue--but they could be a secretary just promoted into a position where he/she really needs help (was it on one of these boards where a person took on a zoning admin job and found there was no map? She needed HELP--until she finally decided that community and that position were not for her.)

I do agree with one of el Guapo's previous posts--that sometimes there is not the help on Cyburbia that we seek. That is probably an indicator of not enough readers. I trust it turns for the better because this is one of the better forums available for us.

petrushka

Cyburbian
Perhaps the time of those "one hit wonders" is also finite. Many do return, but only to see that they have no replies to their queries. I have been one of those, and yes it is frustrating and a little disheartening, but I have continued to return to reply to the posts of the "regulars" time and time again. My time is divided between architectural studies, the planning of art shows and the creation of architecturally oriented sculpture, planning for a big move to Germany from New York, trying to earn enough to live in a room literally the size of a shoebox, maintaining a somewhat 'social' calender and making the necessary contacts to see the fruition of my dreams, and remaining sane in the midst of all these and other things. I understand your frustration at orphaned queries, but you must understand that sometimes it is unavoidable. That being said, I intend to be here to stay. I ask only, your greatness, that you and the other members welcome me.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
petrushka wrote:
Perhaps the time of those "one hit wonders" is also finite. Many do return, but only to see that they have no replies to their queries. I have been one of those, and yes it is frustrating and a little disheartening, but I have continued to return to reply to the posts of the "regulars" time and time again.
petrushka's right. I feel frustrated myself, watching posts go unanswered, since that's someone who is looking for help, someone who might return to the Forums and contribute something later on down the line.

One big reason for the push to get more participants on Cyburbia is so there's fewer "one hit wonders" -- that a question about ... oh, traffic calming or sustainable architecture could result in an interesting discussion. More participants, more folks who might be able to help.

My advice for newcomers is to introduce yourself, chat in the FAC or Planning peeves for a little bit, and then post a question. I think if you show some evidence that you're going to stay for a spell, folks will be more likely to help. petrushka's done that ... up to five posts so far, at the time I posted this message. I hope he stays.

petrushka

Cyburbian
I've brought my smoking jacket, a granny smith apple, and a glass of vodka with me. I think I will be here for a while, Dan. Thank you for invitation.