• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Hi there! 👋 ...one more Canuck!

Hi, I live in Toronto and I have to say, this site is like a breath of fresh air. It’s so awesome to see so many viewpoints on urban issues in one place. And you’re all so civil…even friendly, a good environment indeed! As for me, my slips of paper say I’m a planner (02) and sociologist (98) and my ‘thing’ is crime prevention, through a multidisciplinary approach. Right now though, I’m an analyst for the provincial justice sector…almost, but oh so very far from what I want. I have never posted on any other site before…although, I had some earlier posts that got wiped in the late summer Cyburbia crash…no worries, I’ll try again. Cheers everyone.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Have we not reached our legal limit of Canadians yet? ;)

Welcome CityGrrl. Stick around and post often. It will be interesting to hear how you incorporate planning into crime prevention.

nerudite

Cyburbian
biscuit said:
will be interesting to hear how you incorporate planning into crime prevention.
You've never worked as a planner in Cali I see... each site plan you review has a crime prevention component to it (lighting, entrance locations and visibility from streets, etc.). :)

Welcome citygrrl... nice to see another person from north of the border. :)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Welcome
from among the many Midwesterners.
Oh great another Canadian (in best Taco Bell talking Dog voice)

Rem

Cyburbian
Hello and welcome.

You need to review some more threads if you think people are always civil on Cyburbia :).

Keep your eyes open for JNL, a Cyburbanite from New Zealand. She is a Criminologist and very interested in CPTED. (She is away for a few days so she may miss your introduction thread).

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Welcome from the bottom of Lake Michigan!

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Greetings. Make a wish, CityGrrl! Urban design and community safety are inexorably linked -- I'll look forward to your posts! Enjoy!

JNL

Cyburbian
Welcome CityGrrl! I look forward to discussing crime prevention issues with you :)

Thanks guys. It’s nice to see a good Canadian showing on this site and a fair bit of interest in designing for Safety also.

JNL, are you also into the Safe Cities stuff? The City of Toronto put out some pretty good literature on it the late ‘90s but I don’t think much got implemented in the public sphere. Seems like the limelight got hijacked by the Healthy Cities Approach. Could you give us an overview of your conference when you get back?

TranPlanner, thanks for the email...it made a difference in me coming back.

Jeff

Cyburbian
You know? We are trying to recruit a few spies to join us on the Northern Invasion. LMK if you're interested.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Welcome from one of the Midwesterners! Can you fax some Tim Horton's down here? At the risk of heresy, Krispy Kreme just isn't the same....