• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

One more Starbucks post

Does Starbucks deserve all the derision?

• Starbucks is evil and the destoyer of all that is pure

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • Starbucks is medocre and not worthy of any effort to deride or otherwise.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • Starbucks is a nice coffee house, why all the hate?

Votes: 13 54.2%
  • Starbucks, Is that money the crew of the NC1017F - U.S.S. Enterprise uses?

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Other: See my comments below

Votes: 1 4.2%

• Total voters

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
Clever. I like it. The first time I went through a Starbuck's drivethrough I was tempted to order fries and supersize it.

SGB

Cyburbian
I don't care for Starbucks, primarily because I can't handle their strong & bitter coffee.

Regarding them as a business, I have three words: free market economy.

H

Cyburbian
“A spokesman for the Police Department's Tenderloin Station”…

Tenderloin Station? Isn’t that a piece of meat?

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Mmmm Tenderloin....

I have no problem with Starbucks. There are a lot better local places around here like Stone Creek, Four Seasons, and Alterra, who uses fair trade beans only. Both provide a superior product. However if I am in out of town, I have no problem with stopping at Starbucks beacuse they have good coffee.

green lizard

Cool.

I am going to do that the next time I am
rip roaring drunk and looking for something to
do....

BKM

Cyburbian
There are better places, and I don't like their real estate practices sometimes, but Starbucks is not the focus of evil.

Aren't there better things to protest?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
If someone did the exact same thing to a cafe in the Castro area it would be considered a hate crime. Its amazing that we're all supposed to be so tolerant but people can't tolerate a chain of coffee shops.

Plannerbabs

Cyburbian
I think it's the concept that it's a chain of coffee shops. The two seem like they should be mutually exclusive--at least, I'm old enough to remember coffee shops that were more the haunts of musicians, writers, and other creative types who would pass the hours with a single latte. Starbucks and the others aren't bad per se, their coffee has certainly raised the bar on what's considered drinkable, it's more the idea that it is such a chain. Near where I live, there are three of them within about 3/4 of a mile of each other. And they have drive-throughs. In my caffienated youth, I could not have forseen simply driving through, like McDonald's, and getting a latte. Lattes were meant to be lingered over, not gulped in an SUV on the way to a meeting. But enough nostalgia. They're here, they have their good and bad points, and I wonder if I can get to the one on the way home before rush hour....

michaelskis

Cyburbian
Hmmm… A lot of people on this web site do not like star bucks…. I think that we are suspects now.

Jeff

Cyburbian
You know what? I really like Starbucks. I like Starbucks alot. I don't know anyone that doesn't like Starbucks....except for those in the planning profession/or tree huggin profession.

Can't you show a shop some love?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I'll try to go to an independent coffee shop first, but Starbucks will do if nothing else is around. Hey, they're really exploiting people in other countries more than they are in the US, so what's the big deal?