• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

One-Time Noon Question : What is your favorite or most indespensible tool?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
The office is closed today for Primary Election Day and I am alternately sanding the wood window trim as my very l o n g kitchen remodel winds down and slacking on Cyburbia. I know we've got some woodworkers here and some intrepid do-it-yourselfers. So, the kitchen project got me wondering:

What is your favorite or most indespensible tool?
(Let's try to keep this work-safe ;-)

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Gedunker said:
The office is closed today for Primary Election Day and I am slacking on Cyburbia.
Same here.
Work safe - wish I had a Leatherman TM

Last edited:

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
.....What is your favorite or most indespensible tool?

Short term fix,

Short term to become a long term semi permanant fix,

Show off to the world fix?

boiker

Cyburbian
Gedunker said:
The office is closed today for Primary Election Day and I am alternately sanding the wood window trim as my very l o n g kitchen remodel winds down and slacking on Cyburbia. I know we've got some woodworkers here and some intrepid do-it-yourselfers. So, the kitchen project got me wondering:

Actually, depending on the remodel, the favorite tool changes. Currently, I couldn't part with my cordless drill. One of the best things that ever happend to drills.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
(Dan) If we're going to be continuing noontime or daily questions, let's try have somewhat more descriptive subject lines. 'Kay?

/removes admin hat

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Cordless drill would probably be my choice, as well. Closely followed by my soon to be purchase 25 gallon air compressor.

Oh, my current drill is a 12 volt. When that one kicks the bucket, the next will be at least an 18 volt.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Another vote for cordless drill here - it does everything! Other favourites are the compound mitre saw and wet-saw (for cutting tiles).

Floridays

Cyburbian
Favorite "tool?" Why...duct tape, of course! There's a whole friggin BOOK that tells the many uses of this sticky stuff.
For example, I'm going to make these stylish purses (featured on the duct tape website) for Christmas presents for my close friends:

Attachments

nerudite

Cyburbian
Now that I have Elmo, I don't do too much fixit stuff around the house anymore. So if I can count him as my 'tool' (hee!) then that would be my answer. Otherwise, I could never live without kitchen shears. Not only do they cut stuff, but the open 2-liter bottles too. ;)

Floridays

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
how about duct tape? I keep coming up with more uses for the stuff.
*L* we posted at the same time! (do ya want me to make you a purse? :-D )

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I suppose I use my socket set MORE than any other tool - but how dull. I enjoy using my power recipricol saw more than any other tool. The handle thingie on it gives it a nice kalishnikov look and feel.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
how about duct tape? I keep coming up with more uses for the stuff.
That surely gets this mind going. But this has to be work safe.

Nerudite said:
I could never live without kitchen shears. Not only do they cut stuff, but the open 2-liter bottles too.
I usually just unscrew the top. You must do it different up north.

nerudite

Cyburbian
SlaveToTheGrind said:
That surely gets this mind going. But this has to be work safe.

I usually just unscrew the top. You must do it different up north.
Weak hands when it comes to twisting off those small bottle caps. Using the shears is way easier. I also have a jar top remover, but that works better for bigger things like peanut butter jars.

cololi

Cyburbian
Mine is my circular saw. In the past three months I have used it to (besides cutting wood) cut concrete, cut my main plumbing stack so I could replace it, cut sprinkler pipe (couldn't find my pvc cutter), and to cut a line in my lawn to lay low voltage electrical wire. Amazing tool if you have a fine selection of blades.

biscuit

Cyburbian
Being an apartment dweller, I'd have to say that my cordless drill is the one tool that gets used the most. Hanging pictures; tightening screws; putting together cheap IKEA furniture; it's just the most usefully thing in my tool box.

For obvious, and more destructive reasons, I'd choose the sawzall as the most indispensably FUN tool.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
All in all I'd have to say it is my Sawzall. What an incredibly valuable tool when you are doing any kind of demo work, and when you have a tight spot in your rough framing. I second the vote for the 18-volt cordless drill. My little 9.6 volt is nice enough, but the batteries wear down mighty fast and there isn't much oomph behind it.

Dan, sorry for the vagueness in the first title to this thread. Shan't happen again, sir! ;-)

I'm not much of a handyman at all. However, my computer is my favorite tool. I've turned it into a virtual music studio with its 160 GB hard drive.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
OMG I gotta have one. I met a girl in Nov who had a duct tape school girl skirt made with various colours of tape-Me wants me has to have!!!

FUN STUFF

um... the only tool that I actually have my own of is a phillips head screwdriver. i use a butter knife for all projects requiring flat head screwdrivers if i'm feeling too lazy to go appropriate one from rob's workshop.

kms

Cyburbian
I agree with Nerudite. My husband is the handiest thing here. He can fix things, take things apart, lift heavy things and get things from the high shelves.

My most indispensible tool it my Kitchen Aid Mixer.

DecaturHawk

Cyburbian
I love my new Dremel rotary tool. It does everything. I just used this slick attachment to sharpen my lawnmower blade. Cool.

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
I have a favorite putty knife with a stiff blade. It is used as a srewdriver, chisel, a tool to clean out gunk in concrete cracks, paint scraper, nail puller, crow bar, and a few dozen other uses...sometimes as a putty knife. Does a good job of cutting a slice of pie when no one is looking.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
My Cell Phone...

Dial Dial Dial, "Hi Mr Landloard, my stove is broken, yea, I can't eat raw meat... oh 5 min, great! See you then" Hang up.

Just kidding. I fix 90% on my own dime. Cordless Drill.

otterpop

Cyburbian
In true Red Green fashion, I have to say my most indespensible tool is the Handyman's Secret weapon - duct tape. The powers of this magic invention were first brought home to me as an avid canoe and kayak enthusiast. You can patch just about anything boat-related. Cracks in fiberglass. A hole in a dry bag. Tape things in so they won't fall out. The list is practically endless. You can even fashion a band-aid that won't wash off. About the only thing I found it can't do is patch a raft. Now that we have a three-year-old who loved to mess with my stuff, I've found it is handy for repairing some of his adventures. If only Child Protective Services would let me tape him to his chair.

Wulf9

I don't even own one, but my daughter does. It's a small electric jackhammer. Breaking concrete is so satisfying.

On a more practical side, I use my cordless drill and saw a lot.

ludes98

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
Table saw, almost as useful as duct tape, but you can make nicer stuff with it! :-D
Ditto. So versatile, if you can only have one saw this is it! Cordless drill is a close second.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
What are these "tools" you speak of? ;-)

Mastiff

Gunfighter
tsc said:
as of late... Nail gun... best thing ever.
I made two "biggies" when I got my new place. (Both for great prices) A 12" compound miter saw (DeWalt - $180) and an upright air compressor (Craftsman - $100). Both made HUGE differences in how quickly and efficiently I can get projects done. Now I've added:

1/2" to 2" Nailer
1/2" to 1 1/2" Stapler
3/8" to 1 1/4" Brad Nailer
1 1/2" to 2 1/2" Roofing Nailer
Air Chisel
Air Sander
Other various little air tools

So out of all of it, I'd say compressor... And I'm getting ready to run air in my shop with 1/2" PVC piping and coiled air line. No more dragging the hose around.

Habanero

Cyburbian
Michele Zone said:
I carry a small tape measure in my purse at all times. :-D
I have a 12 foot tape measure in my car at all times. :-\ The house has me crazy. I want a mouse sander, a jig saw, table saw, one of those cute little edger things, stud finder, electronic level, and I'm sure if you dropped me in Home Depot for 20 minutes I could list out a few more tools I'd love to have. :)

ludes98

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
I have a 12 foot tape measure in my car at all times. :-\ The house has me crazy. I want a mouse sander, a jig saw, table saw, one of those cute little edger things, stud finder, electronic level, and I'm sure if you dropped me in Home Depot for 20 minutes I could list out a few more tools I'd love to have. :)
It never ends. New pics yet?

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Habanero said:
I want a mouse sander, a jig saw, table saw, one of those cute little edger things, stud finder, :)
I got a stud finder for X-mas, but it only works in the house, darn it! ;-)

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Zoning Goddess said:
I got a stud finder for X-mas, but it only works in the house, darn it! ;-)
I just told Mrs. 'dunker and she's laughing her @ss!
Hey, wait a second! Where's my stud finder??? ;-)