• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Open Outdoor sales and display

Glomer

How do you regulate open and outdoor sales and display in your commercial districts????

What I'm looking to do is allow open and outdoor display in our B-1, B-2, and B-2A (neighborhood and limited business districts) as accessory uses subject to a limited percent of the allowed use.

I want to allow open and outdoor sales, display and rental as a Conditional Use in the B-3, B-4, B-W districts. (auto oriented businesses) subject to a percent (perhaps 30% of gross floor area)

Does this sound about right???

what I'm trying to allow, but not be taken advantage of, is for neighborhood businesses such as a hardwar or hobby stores be allowed to display there merchandise at the entrance of their store........on occasion.

Any suggestions on any of this....my brain is fried today.

donk

Cyburbian
we allow it in many commercial zones, provided that it does not utilize any required parking spaces or landscaped open space.

Jeff

Cyburbian
You may want to make it seasonal, or only allow it as a combo of permanent and temporary floor area. Meaning, don't leave yourself open for a business to squirt around a max building coverage.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
We also don't allow it to cover existing parking. Nothing in our code that states size restrictions. It is allowed as a special land use. However, if a new business is coming into town, it is allowed without a SUP if it is designated on the site plan.

In Colonie, any and all outdoor sales/display must be approved by the planning board, at their discretion, and are not allowed in parking areas.

BKM

Cyburbian
We limit outdoor merchandise sales to certain types of goods and temporary/seasonal goods. Auto dealers must provide a landscape buffer along the street frontage and are not permitted on multi-tenant properties.