• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Places Optimistic City Names...

spokanite

Cyburbian
Were your town founders just a little too psyched about where they lived?

I know some on here have discussed the use of branding as a modern-day attempt to market a city as unique or memorable. Some noted that there are rather large pitfalls with doing this if the chosen marketing doesn't reflect the true nature of the area. Some also noted that cities were actually renaming themselves as an attempt at branding.

This got me to thinking, and as I drove around my area, I started to take literal notice of the names of some of the older and smaller towns around mine. I thought of three immediately:
  • Opportunity, Wa
  • Liberty Lake, Wa
  • Freeman, Wa
These are within roughly 15 miles of each other.

I know this is not something peculiar to my 'younger', western area (Eastern Washington, USA), but wanted to find out from other Cyburbians if cities or towns near you have similarly positive names.

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
There's a Paradise in W Montana, as I recall. And I think there's an Eden in Kansas, but I don't have an atlas handy to confirm that.

Budgie

Cyburbian
Protection, Kansas

Which was founded in 1884 by my GGgrandfather (James Robert Holland) and a number of cousins, uncles and a brother in-law. JRH built the first structure, which was his general store and post office. Northern Oklahoma was still indian territory (The Cherokee Strip), so Protection was so named because it was optimistically elected at a strategically safe location from indian raids.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
I think Kissimmee, Florida would be considered an optimistic city name. (Looking for love in all the wrong places.) ;)

mgk920

Cyburbian
PlannerByDay said:
Michigan also has a Climax :)

-All of those places in the western USA called 'Sweetwater';
-Winter Haven, FL

I'm waiting for someone to create a new city in Florida called (or rename an existing one to) 'Sunny, FL'. It seems that whenever I meet someone from Florida and I ask them where they are from, more often than not they will say that they are from "Sunny Florida". That must be one HUGE secret city! :p

Mike

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Paradise, MI was mentioned.....i second the motion. (Ahhh, da Yoopee....).....

I heard there is an Intercourse, PA.

I lived for a long time in Liberty Center, OH.

Optismism may be expressed by residents of Florida, OH, telling people they live in Florida (especially when the cold winds of January are a-blowing).

Defiance, OH
Fairport Harbor, OH

Bear Ever Da Optimist

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
There is a utopian community in southern Indiana called New Harmony.

A city name that I've always thought of as discouraging rather than encouraging was Coldwater, Michigan. If I lived in the days before indoor plumbing, a place called Coldwater would not be at the top of my places to live. Someplace like Hot Springs would sound better.

PlannerByDay

Cyburbian
Joe Iliff said:
A city name that I've always thought of as discouraging rather than encouraging was Coldwater, Michigan. If I lived in the days before indoor plumbing, a place called Coldwater would not be at the top of my places to live. Someplace like Hot Springs would sound better.

Our friend SW MI Planner resides in Coldwater or near by.

boilerplater

Cyburbian
There is a "Jersey Shore" in PA.

In NJ's Somerset County is a place called Zarephath, which means "Pillar of Fire". It was founded as a religious community and I believe the name refers to the Pillar of Fire that God appeared to Moses as while the Isrealites were wandering in the wilderness. What's more optimistic than putting God on the bill of acts to appear?

Also around here: New Hope, PA, and Hope, NJ.

H

Cyburbian
mgk920 said:
Winter Haven, FL

Funny story: WH was actually supposed to be named Lakeland (because if you look at the map it sorta looks like Swiss cheese from all the lakes, the at the time industrial 'chain-of-lakes') and Lakeland was supposed to be named Winter Haven (because it was intended to be a winter retreat for Yankees). But… both places were being named at the same time and someone down at the county courthouse in Bartow got the names switched… so there it stands.

My personal fav town name of all time is still Whynot, Mississippi

“Should we stop here?” “Whynot!”***

***(an historical incorrect uneducated guess of how it happened :p)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
A few I can think of...

Cape Disappointment and Cape Fear
Desolation Mountains
Dead Horse Point
Hell's Canyon
Terminal, CA

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
Just north of Swanton, OH, there is a small cross-roads community called Ai. If you say it loud it sounds like you are screaming in pleasure or trying to be a cowboy. It is pronounced "a-eye".

There are quite a number of Devils Lakes scattered around this great land, including southern Michigan, Wisconsin, and North Dakota. This Bear wonders if early settlers got in some boating trouble out on these lakes and that's where the name came from. Anybody know?

Bear & Katie Yelling "Ai" :p

silentvoice

Cyburbian
my friend commented once, that places with optimistic names usually encounter some problems. Maybe it's better not to jinx it ;)

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
The only city (actually town) I can think of is Port Eden, and well, it's a very isolated town in the archipielagic Patagonia, and has no more than 3,000 inhabitants... It's very rainy and cold down there so I actually wonder why the name... :p

zman

Cyburbian
JNA said:
In New Jersey there is a Loveladies.

I live in Loveland, Colorado, if that counts.
In fact they say Valentine's Day is big here with people getting Loveland as a postmark on their Valentines

Bear Up North

Cyburbian Emeritus
At this time of the year we can't forget the hidden optimism in the town of Rudolph, Ohio.....just south of Bowling Green.

Dasher, Dancer & Bear

mgk920

Cyburbian
Bear Up North said:
At this time of the year we can't forget the hidden optimism in the town of Rudolph, Ohio.....just south of Bowling Green.

Ditto Rudolph, WI (it's on WI 34 [future WI 13] a few klicks north of Wisconsin Rapids, WI).

Mike

mgk920

Cyburbian
Miles Ignatius said:
Pleasant Prairie, WI :-o

And it's right at 'Sprawl Central' along I-94 between Chicago and Milwaukee, from the state line to WI 50.

(personal editorial comment here - Pleasant Prairie and Kenosha should be merged into one city. MGK)

Mike

AubieTurtle

Cyburbian
I've always wondered what the town founders of the many cities named "Fairview" were thinking. Doesn't sound too optimistic.

biscuit

Cyburbian
AubieTurtle said:
I've always wondered what the town founders of the many cities named "Fairview" were thinking. Doesn't sound too optimistic.
As in...
"Hey fellow town father. How was the view from your log cabin?"
"Mehhh, fair at best."

There is the community of Fair Play, SC, just up I-85 from Atlanta, that was settled by Mennonites. I'm sure their beliefs had something to do with the name choice.

How about all the Midwestern towns that share their names with famous world cities and European capitals? To name a small settlement in Illinois Paris, Venice or Cairo is its own form of optimism. Naples, Versailles, Dublin, Vichy, Cabool (Kabul)... Missouri even has a Cuba, a Nevada and a Brazil. There was a bus crash here awhile back that occured in Bowling Green (Missouri). Surivors were taken to hospitals in Mexico (Missouri) and Louisiana (Missouri). With most of these, trying to guess how the locals pronounce the name is a stab in the dark.
Not to mention Braggadocio, Economy, Lithium, Peculiar, Defiance...

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Upstate New York has quite a few places that follow along a Greco-Roman theme. Ithaca, Homer, Ulysses, Romulus, Greece, Syracuse, Ovid, Rome.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Old thread, but I saw it while looking at what guests were looking at.

Future City, Illinois is just north of Cairo. I've been there, and it's an even sadder place than Cairo.

Horizon CIty, Texas, is one of many "desert land speculation town on steroids" communities found throughout Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California.

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Old thread, but I saw it while looking at what guests were looking at.

Future City, Illinois is just north of Cairo. I've been there, and it's an even sadder place than Cairo.

Horizon CIty, Texas, is one of many "desert land speculation town on steroids" communities found throughout Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and California.
Future City, IL...it does have a funeral home so it does have that going for the resident(s).

A few places seeking to keep outsiders away

Hell, MI
Why, Arizona
Boring, OR
A few I can think of...

Cape Disappointment and Cape Fear
Desolation Mountains
Dead Horse Point
Hell's Canyon
Terminal, CA

Kentucky has a great many colorful town/city names-
the ones that especially seem to want to keep outsiders out:
  • Blackey**
  • Black Bottom**
  • Black Gnat
  • Booger Branch
  • Viper
  • Monkey's Eyebrow
  • Rabbit Hash
  • Hazard
  • Oddville
  • Ashcamp
  • Belcher
  • Pig
  • Cranks
  • Ransom
  • Stamping Ground
  • Fisty
  • Lackey
  • Slaughters
  • Marrowbone
  • Typewhoppity
  • Forked Mouth Creek
  • Lick Creek
  • Bee Lick
  • Wolf Lick
  • Flat Lick
  • Mud Lick
  • Paint Lick
  • Knob Lick
  • Deer Lick
  • Big Bone Lick State Park

There many questionable names that I would have flagged for most other states,
but I gave Kentucky the benefit of the doubt, (for what it's worth).

**The first two=> blatantly racist.