• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Origins of preservation planning

Here's a question for everyone....

Can anyone say when and where preservation planning got started? Was any one city and/or person a trailblazer in this? There may not be a definitive answer to this question, but I thought I would throw it out here, as I would like to say something about this in a presentation to an Historical Society. You know, get the word out that there are planners that do this sort of thing!

Thanks!

larryshure

I think the earliest districts were in Charleston and New Orleans. You might try a book called, "The Future of the Past," which is a pretty good history of early preservation. American preservation got a slow start, but I'll bet you can find a ton of very early European laws. You can also find James Marston Fitch's book, which laid out a bunch of early preservataion precepts.

Jason

Can anyone tell me that where should I visit and which agency or authority should I deal to if I got plan to visit France for two weeks around in September. The objective of this trip is to wide up my experience for the building conservation/preservation which carry out in France.

larryshure

Try contacting the US Committee of the International Council on Monuments and Sites (ICOMOS). Their DC number is (202)842-1866. You can also visit their web site. If you are not in the US their other committees are listed as well.