• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Origins of Preservation Planning

Here's a question for everyone....

Can anyone say when and where preservation planning got started? Was any one city and/or person a trailblazer in this? There may not be a definitive answer to this question, but I thought I would throw it out here, as I would like to say something about this in a presentation to an Historical Society. You know, get the word out that there are planners that do this sort of thing!

Thanks!

Wanda

You may want to look at "An American Mosaic" by Robert Stipe and Myrick Howard. It may have some information on the origins of preservation.

Jerry Weitz

Cyburbian
Charleston, SC, and New Orleans, LA, were the two cities within which the historic preservation movement began and succeeded. You should be able to find information from the National Trust for Historic Preservation or from some preservation history text. Jerry Weitz