• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Other Interests

jestes

Cyburbian
What activities are everyone involved in besides the obvious work and recreational pursuit activities? Are any of you involved in community service work or volunteerism? This type of thing has become sort of a second job for me. Most of the activities that I am involved with have come about as a result of my position, such as United Way, YMCA, Educational Foundations, etc.

As Planners we are often in the unique position to see many of the needs that exist in our communities. Just curious as to how many of us act on those needs.

el Guapo

Capitalist
I am an adult vol. for the Boy Scouts.

I give long - and strangely unappreciated - lectures to rude customer service staff members while I hold up the line from moving because they did something minor to upset me. - This is my greatest contribution to society. Kicking some Min wage ass.

donk

Cyburbian
I am the president of my provincial cycling association and give up pretty much every weekend of the summer to oversee bike races around my province. I am also involved with my local bike club designing and building trails.

I also sit on the regional representative of the CIP.

If some medical tests come back positive I will probably volunteer with the local MS group.

seannelson

I coach and officiate youth teams in baseball, softball, football, and basketball.

It sounds like I'm being roped into serving a 4 year term on my hometown bienial community festival next year.

Some friends and I have been working together on some homes (roofing, siding, replacing windows, etc.), maybe this can turn into our own business someday.

kms

Cyburbian
Right now, Parish council and coordinate an annual toy drive for Appalachian children. In the past, watershed association, community center development committee, borough recreation board, Girl Scout leader, anti-litter and dumping grassroots organization, and... homeroom parent. I've eliminated many activities as my kids get busier.

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I'm a Lion, and do a lot of community service work because of that.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Webelos Cub Scout leader and assistant soccer coach. Also take time off from work to help with school book fairs, shows, career day, etc.

Do a little work with the local AIDS group, and get involved with work sponsored charity events (and we seem to have a ton) - adopt a family for the holidays, heart walk, etc.

Otherwise, I spend a lot of time taking random classes - tap dancing, cake decorating, piano lessons, knitting. It helps me feel more well rounded.

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
I am involved in a lot of different organizations, including being on the Board of Directors for our local Altrusa, a womens organization which is kind of like a Rotary or Lions. Also on the Board for the SouthCentral Michigan Community Action Agency. I'm involved a lot with local groups through my job (Branch County GIS, Safe and Affordable Task Force). I need to get a list going because I always forget a bunch of them.

In my non-work life, I'm actually kind of a dork :) I do a lot of creative, traditional type of things - scrapbooking, knitting, cross stitch, gardening, p.ay piano, read, artsy fartsy things. Love learning new things too - took a basket class for a while.

Jeff

Cyburbian
I race bikes, I'm a volunteer firefighter and EMT, and scanner (police and fire) enthusiast...

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
I do so much "community work" at work that my off time tends to bne more social:
I'm in 3 bowling leagues (from Wisconsin could you guess?)
A summer indoor sand volleyball league
Do limited fundraising work for the local AIDS Resource Center(but mostly just donate to it and attend the black ties)
Land Rover Owners Group, participate in off road events
Harley Owners Group

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I wish I volunteered more, but for some reason I don't.

I play hockey once a week, workout when I can, read, cook, and play with trains/scale models.

jestes

Cyburbian
I sensed that there was a vein of altruism in this group. A lot of the things that I am involved in have become a hobby of sorts, replacing some of the other less "productive" pursuits.

I am on the board of our local YMCA, the United Way Funds Distribution Committee, the school district's education foundation board, the board of a local handicap accessibility advocacy group, Friends of Scouting Chairman.

I have also been asked to consider a school board appointment and will be teaching an environmental planning class at my alma mater this spring. In addition, I am very active in my church, serving as administrative board chairman, and past chairman of the growth and development committee.

To extend the original post a bit further, do your bosses: a) encourage community involvement; b) tolerate it; c) allow it only if it takes place strictly after hours on your own time?

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
forgot one...

bturk said:
I do so much "community work" at work that my off time tends to bne more social:
I'm in 3 bowling leagues (from Wisconsin could you guess?)
A summer indoor sand volleyball league
Do limited fundraising work for the local AIDS Resource Center(but mostly just donate to it and attend the black ties)
Land Rover Owners Group, participate in off road events
Harley Owners Group
I also volunteer for the Keeshond Rescue as a "railroad worker", shuttling digs from bad home to rescue, rescue to rescue, or best case, rescue to adoption home. It can be sad but its rewarding.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Most of my volunteerism is planning related....

I'm an alternate on the Zoning Board in my hometown
I was a sounding board member for the 20/20 Vision for Concord
I'm the webmaster for the APA Chapter
I was the NH State Director for the APA Chapter (recently stepped down)
I just ended a 5 year stint on the executive committee for the NH Planners Association
My wife and I are on the list of couples for marraige encounters for our church

I'm looking forward to when my daughter starts playing sports so I can start coaching. :)

I've got the materials to get certified as a baseball umpire and football official, but I'm not sure I have the time to do many games.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Much of my volunteer work is planning-related as well. I have been on a couple of committees for the Wisconsin Economic Development Association and am running for the board of directors. I have been on the board of directors of the Wisconsin Downtown Action Council since 1995, and have been president three times. I am also on the board of the Chamber of Commerce and formerly for the county economic development corporation. I am one of a handful of people starting up the first state chapter of certified economic developers. I am on the Advisory Committee for Forward Wisconsin. Strangely, I have not done much with the Wisconsin chapter of APA.

On occassion, I also volunteer time to help with trail-building and restoring prairies.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Michael Stumpf said:
I am one of a handful of people starting up the first state chapter of certified economic developers.
Mike - I'd like to hear more about that. Already have my NDC Certification - how's this compare?

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Re: forgot one...

bturk said:

I also volunteer for the Keeshond Rescue as a "railroad worker", shuttling digs from bad home to rescue, rescue to rescue, or best case, rescue to adoption home. It can be sad but its rewarding.
I had a big fenced yard in MO, and did foster service for MOHART... We'd have 6-8 dogs at a time running around. It was fun, sad, wonderful, and heart-wrenching all at once.

Mastiff

Gunfighter
Oh...

I'm PLANNING to join the local snowmobile cub... But first I need to BUY one!

plannerkat

Cyburbian
I somehow manage to find time to teach a few dance classes a week at a local studio. Mostly modern dance, jazz and ballet, though I have done the odd tap class as well. And I often find myself clarifying to fellow planners & associates that I'm not "that kind" of dancer!

Other than that we're beginning the overwhelming process of restoring our 80 year old house.

nerudite

Cyburbian
I used to be much more active in community services/volunteerism. It seems when I moved up here a year ago into instant family life, that almost all of that went out the window. Now that life is starting to settle a little, I will probably try to get back into volunteering. Edmonton has a bunch of citizen boards, but their recruitment is over until next fall.

On a different vein, I'm thinking about taking a French class. I have a bad habit of butchering French pronunciation when reading cereal boxes, shampoo bottles, etc... and if this goes on too much longer, I will probably have a harder time learning the language *for real*. So that will probably take up the few nights a week that I don't currently have meetings. :(

OhioPlanner

Cyburbian
I serve on our area commission. Right now I'm leading our effort to create a citizen based neighborhood plan.

As a subset of the commission, I sit on the zoning and variance committee, that hears all rezoning and variance cases for the area.

I also site on a code enforcement task force near where I work.

Mostly my volunteer work is related to my interests in planning.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
I'm going to join a singles volunteer group. I want to plant some roots in KC, and contributing to the community will help contribute to the feeling that the place is "home." There's the alturistic reasons, too.

Anyone here live in a different municipality from where they work, and participate as a member of a planning commission or variance hearing board?

Mastiff

Gunfighter
[steve martin voice]

I do a lot of work with unwed mothers...

I help them get their start.

[/steve martin voice]

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Dan said:
Anyone here live in a different municipality from where they work, and participate as a member of a planning commission or variance hearing board?
See my post above....yep....