• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Our nations fabric

spitfly79

Hello....I am newly registered...from the state of Massachusetts. Recently graduated from Salem State College with a degree in Geography concentrated in Regional Development and Planning. I have been an active in a Planning internship for the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority for the last five months and continuing until I can find entry-level/ apprentice level planning employment. My main interest really is community planning and development though..I really would to become involved in that area of planning. Became interested because I found it unique as to how communities are designed, built and formed. Really..kind of angered with the way that auto-dependent development/sprawl has dominated our past and current forms of the physical landscape. The obvious dilemmas of this is how it has fractured our land...especially in the sense that great amounts of inequities within our communities has caused a serious loss of character and community identity replaced by isolation.
Anyway..glad to be aboard and look forward to using this forum as a way to connect with others who see this time in our world as a way to facilitate change towards reinvesting in our communities. Considering they were once the fabric of this great nation.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
It is a bit odd to think how our highway system has caused isolation -- and the opposite. In an urban setting, highways cutting through neighborhoods isolated them. At the same time, they made other parts of the city (and the metro area, including suburbs) more accessible. In rural areas, a community on the interstate was often (not always) assured of survival. It would likely grow, but one located off of the highway was more likely to languish or die. Prior to the interstate highway system, everyone was on a little more even footing.

Runner

Cyburbian
Welcome aboard!

Massachusetts is a nice state, I lived there until I moved away after high school.

Trail Nazi

Cyburbian
Welcome. You know, transportation planners tend to make more money (at least I have found this to be true).