• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Outdoor Skating Facilities

Halifax, Nova Scotia is considering developing an outdoor skating rink/path system on the site of the first manufacturer of ice skates, Starr Manufacturing. I am interested in finding out what other cities have such facilities, such as Toronto's by City Hall. Helpful particulars include size, capital and operating costs, the average number of days per year, whether the ice is natural or refrigerated, etc. Even if you just know of the location of such a public facility it would be greatly appreciated if you could pass that along.

Thanks, and happy new year to all!!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I think pretty much any decent Canadian City has an outdoor skating venue. Well, except Sudbury I guess.

Toronto has a mixture of artificial and natural ice rinks. I don't have any idea of capital costs, etc. but you might be able to get something through the Parks Department (via the City website).

Ottawa has the Rideau Canal of course...

jmf

Cyburbian
I am not sure if you listen to CBC Information Morning with Liz and Don but last week they interviewed someone from Yarmouth, NS who is working at an outdoor rink in Dublin, ireland this winter. I think there might be a website but I am not sure. You might be able to get contact info from CBC Halifax.

Hello from down the road in Windsor, birthplace of hockey, I think unless it was halifax or somewhere in On.

BTW, I got a pair of Starr skates for Christmas, my grandmother was Forbes from the Forbes who ran the Starr Skate Company.

Jeff

Cyburbian
We have one in Philly...on the Delaware River waterfront...don't know anything about operating cost though.

Joshua

In addition to the rinks that are in a great many public parks in Montreal (some parks have two rinks -- one for hockey, one for free skating), there are four major outdoor rinks here:

1. The very large pond in Lafontaine Park.
2. The rowing basin on Ile-Notre-Dame (created for the 76 Summer Olympics)
3. Beaver Lake, in the centre of Mount-Royal Park.
4. Bonsecours Basin in the Old Port (Vieux Port), on the edge of de la Commune Street, west of Bonsecours St. and east of Place Jacques Cartier. It claims to be the only outdoor refrigerated rink in Montreal.

Sorry I have no details. The only info I have (taken from my season pass from the Vieux Port rink) are two phone numbers -- 1-800-971-7678 for ice conditions and 514-283-9814 for the ticket office. They may at least be able to tell you its dimensions.

nerudite

Cyburbian
The City of Edmonton maintains several outdoor rinks. The list of outdoor rinks and their intended uses (speed skating, shinny hockey, leisure skating, etc.) and a contact phone number can be found on this webpage. Good luck!

swm

Southeast corner of Central Park in Manhattan. It's rather large. Very nice setting, well-designed seating and overlook viewing areas.

mpchow

City of Chicago has a couple. They had one on State and Washington for a long time known as Skate on State but that was moved to Grant Park - a more permanent one. And then there's a semi-new one in the Hyde Park neighborhood too. I think that you can find info about both through the city website (http://egov.cityofchicago.org/city/webportal/home.do) and the University of Chicago probably also has some information on the Hyde Park one since it's on the MIdway Plaisance (sort of part of the campus). (www.uchicago.edu)