• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Outlots and zoning

donk

Cyburbian
Hopefully I can explain the situation clearly.

I am wondering about what people do for lot size requirements and other zone provisions for outpads in shopping centres. Our zoning by-law requires that lots inteh shopping centre zone have a minimum area of 9200 square metres (2 acres0. we are experiencing applications for sthe creation of new lots in the parking areas of malls for other stand alone businesses, but they don't want or need teh 9200 sq. metres. What do others do about this?

If you need clarification ask away.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
We allow individual parcels to be as small as 20,000 sqaure feet (sorry, no metric conversions for this Yankee!). However, we also allow the condiminium arrangement in a planned development district, where they could only own their building pad, and share parking, landcscaping, and stormwater mgmt areas as "common elements".

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Our minimum lot size applies only when the lot is created. After the lot is created, a parcel can fit whatever they can on it, provided they meet the landscaping, lot coverage, parking, and setback requirements.

donk

Cyburbian
do you consider variances when the lot size desired is less then teh lot size required by the by-law.

The reason we are having this problem is that our Act requires that all leases over 10 years be approved by a plan of subdivision. Most of the pad stores use the equity / value of the lease for mortgage purposes. It also makes it easier for teh owner of the property to divy up the tax bills.

gkmo62u

Cyburbian
What if no lot is actually being created? ie, what if I am ground leasing the pad site and maintaining ownership?

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I have typically used an approach similar to bturk. I don't care how small the outlot is - why have 20,000 square feet for a 3,000 square foot building? The important considerations are access and parking. Generally, these lots will not have their own curb custs, but will be accessed by an internal circulation system. They will also need adequate parking, usually shared among several users. I want to see these guaranteed through a condominium agreement or a permanant easement(s).

donk

Cyburbian
What if no lot is actually being created
If no lot is being created, we allow multiple main buildings in the zone. All that would be required are the setbacks from lines and between buildings.

The community planning act requires that leases that transfer interest or control of land be done through the creation of a new lot.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
We have no minimum lot size for non-residential uses. In a shopping center/mall, the usual development standards apply, except that parking does not have to be contained on individual lots for each use. Provided, however, that parking meets the minimum for each use, calculated as though each use had stand-alone parking.
The downside to this is that stores (like stand-alone drugstores) keep getting bigger and then the developers want all kinds of variances to fit the stores on older (smaller) commercial lots.