• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Over/Under on Boston NPC21?

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
I've never been to Boston. I would really like to see Boston on somebody else's dime (20,000+ of those FDR coins). I was not upset when this year's conference in Houston was cancelled. I had no desire to see Houston (no offense to any Houstonites). What is your over/under on NPC21 taking place?

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I'd bet good money that there won't be any in-person conferences until maaaaaybe fall of 2021 but more likely spring of 2022. Unless the conference organizers can spread out the sessions (host the session in one room and broadcast it to 2-3 other rooms simultaneously) so people can spread out, or have it both in-person and virtual simultaneously.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I was on the host committee for 98 - it was hilarious and I am happy that social media wasn't a thing that week, wow

I would put money on the bet it is virtual this year - and yeah, I am bummed too as it's a really good time

SlaveToTheGrind

Cyburbian
Probably not happening. I was really hoping to go too. My first APA conference was there in 1998.
My first full-time job was in Montana (just started November 1997) and I had to pick up the senior planner from the airport after he came back from the Boston conference and hoped I would get there someday.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
I don't see it happening as an in-person event.
Agreed. Early year (1st/2nd quarter events) are unlikely to happen in person. Perhaps the typical fall (3rd quarter) state conferences may occur in person.

Though, I'm actually enjoying the remote conferences/seminars I've done so far this year. I'm in the OEDA/OHAPA 3-day conference right now and it's working out nicely.

Last edited:

TOFB

Cyburbian
I don't know if I would go if it was happening. No offense LP, but it is not one of my favorite cities. Like New York, only meaner.

San Diego, on the other hand . . . .

bureaucrat#3

I really enjoyed Boston last time around. I had never been there before, but stayed a few extra days and did all of the touristy stuff.

My employer is really enjoying virtual conferences. We're not allowed to travel, especially out of state for the near future. It's primarily virus related, but the administration is loving the cost savings for travel. I'm a little worried we'll be on a tighter budget after COVID.

Lowland

Cyburbian
I agree with others in this thread, I think it'll be virtual again, and 2022 in-person seems likely. Though the way budgets (such as ours) might be hit for the next few years, who knows if that will effect turnout. I know my org likely won't be footing any training or conference bills for awhile, unfortunately.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Nope. Not going to happen.

I don't think we've even begun to see the worst of the second wave. I'm not an epidemiologist, but with three big gathering holidays close together (Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years Day -- Hanukkah is really just something you celebrate with your family at home), the non-mask-wearing crowd being even more defiant than ever, and only limited vaccine distribution if any) I don't think we;ll be past this until next spring. It would be nice if it just kind of disappeared or mutated into a mild strain, like H1N1 in 1917/1918, but COVID-19 is the curveball of all coronavirii.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
Based on the questions chapter leaders are getting that have done virtual state conferences, I think a virtual conference is all but guaranteed. There's certain things that would be happening by now for an in-person conference that have not been happening, which is the first clue.

Whose Yur Planner

Cyburbian
Based on the questions chapter leaders are getting that have done virtual state conferences, I think a virtual conference is all but guaranteed. There's certain things that would be happening by now for an in-person conference that have not been happening, which is the first clue.
That was my thought as well. if there was going to be an in person conference, we would be hearing about it by now.

The Terminator

Cyburbian
Itll be entirely online and funny watching all those boom*rs not knowing how unmute ;) I miss the old world. I agree with supreme leader Dan, next spring will is the most optimistic realsitic beginning of a return to normal, but dont see a real end until '22.

I would have gone to a Boston conference too :/

SD no, lets hope for Buffalo '23.