• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Admin / process Owner Sign off on application

Sign off sheet from owner/applicant/rep for site plan applications?

• Yes, you are crazy, but that's another thread

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Why yes, I do have that form, pretty basic

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • Yes, whatevah

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Nope, not our problem

• No, who cares?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't know

• Just eating cookies in the private sector and we love all those billables you give us

• Wait, what?

• Too busy investigating the Biden's

• Other poignant response

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
I placed a sign off sheet for site plan applications that ensures the owner, the lessee both sign off as applicable, and, that there is an assisgned rep, like the engineer or attorney

Not a big deal, I think -

I had a situation years ago when I didn't do that and had a couple ofp rojects flare up because of it so now I make sure this is done

I have a current applicant's engineer who is a little hot and bothered by this additional step

Do you all do this?

Am I crazy here?

DVD

Cyburbian
I think someone might sign an application somewhere.

I required it at my last place for 2 reasons:
1. Agricultural use sign off - the farmer's loved it
2. I had a guy who owned land in a fake name and I wouldn't let him do anything with his land.

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
Owners' signatures on applications and on plans themselves. Our Boards will not take action on any applications without property owner signatures.

ursus

Cyburbian, raised by Cyburbians
We require property owner's signatures and agent authorizations for every applications. Trust no one.

Rest assured LP, you are completely normal.......at least in this one specific way. :)

DVD

Cyburbian
To avoid the courts taking his property (illegally of course because courts can't take your property and other fun rants) he "sold" his property to himself using a fake name. He even had it notarized. I guess the last sheriff actually checked it all out, but couldn't get enough to write up the fraud case or whatever crime it would have been. So everyone knew the name was fake. Naturally the property was also a junk yard that had no permits. I told the guy to get permits, knowing he wouldn't. So when I started doing all the enforcement stuff I made it clear that I can only talk to the property owner. He had no rights as a lease holder to file for permits. I should point out he had no lease. It was entertaining. We went to court over the property and in court he uttered the amazing line, "with as many problems as this property has you would be an idiot to own the property. I AM THE PROPERTY OWNER!" It was a good day. We cleaned up the property, there's a story about him getting arrested for trespassing on the neighbor's property trying to clean this place up. It also involves pointing a tractor at a deputy. Nothing was ever done to clean up the ownership problem and I understand the taxes are still being paid. Usually by a friend of Mr. X because he's out of town or something. Also, the guy has warrants and knows not to come into the county for fear of being recognized and arrested. Again. There's also a good story about him and a friend and wearing hats in court during this whole thing.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Yes, we do nothing without evidence that the property owner is on board.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
We require the owner's signature as part of the application. The new PB Chair has become obsessed with it; will not vote on applications if he hasn't personally seen the signature line and believes it to be legit. It's a really fun PB meeting every month.