• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

oxy-moron

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Transportation planning in Northern Va, and dont even get me started on the street names

Habanero

Cyburbian
so then what does that say about BTurk and Prudence?

here's mine.. I'll do it before anyone else does..

Texas Highway Planning

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
TexasPlanner said:
so then what does that say about BTurk and Prudence?

here's mine.. I'll do it before anyone else does..

Texas Highway Planning
I'm married. Oh, that first post should be "unattached" I'll go edit!

NHPlanner

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator
Staff member
my alltime favorite about planning:

Current Planning.

nerudite

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
my alltime favorite about planning:

Current Planning.
Long-range planning works best in the short term.
- Euripides

There's an oxymoron of a quote, that actually makes a little sense. Kind of. :)

el Guapo

Capitalist
Mine

Compassionate Conservative
Liberal Intellectual
Limited Warfare
Arkansas River (You have to be from Dodge to get this)

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
fireboss said:
Ohio Planning
]

Okay, I understand the vibe in this thread, but I want to be a contrarian! Ever been to Dayton? For a city that has seen a population decline, it has put in great effort to maintain its physical fabric. Now, about the public schools, that's another matter!

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
fireboss said:
Ohio Planning
]

Okay, I understand the vibe in this thread, but I want to be a contrarian! Ever been to Dayton? For a city that has seen a population decline, it has put in great effort to maintain its physical fabric. Now, about the public schools, that's another matter!

Tom R

Cyburbian
dayton

Can't say that I've been to Dayton, although I would like to visit the air museum there. I've heard a lot about the City's wellhead protection program.

It is easy to dump on Ohio re: planning or lack thereof. But think of the planning history here, Ambler Reality vs. the Village of Euclid and the early planning done in Cincinnati. It's a shame to look at the present state of affairs.

BKM

Cyburbian
Picking on Ohio?

Is Ohio any worse than any other state?

What about Virginia, where municipalities can't do anything without the specific authorization of State legislation (Dillon Rule state). I mean, Fairfax County is a prime example of wonderful planning :)

I grew up in Indiana, and the sheer ugliness of elements of my hometown (Fort Wayne) inspired my planning career. :)

-Basically abandoned downtown and racially segregated neighborhoods.

-A major U. S. Highway bypass allowed to develop into the world's uglinest mixture of giant scale strip commercial and declining industrial. The huge high voltage power lines combine with massive truck traffic and absolutely no landscaping or sign regulations create a particularly lovely commercial district for the entire region.

- Suburban sprawl-facilitated by a new ring freeway. Even one of the hospitals abandoned the old city center to move to the new "edge city."

I envy people who have this emotional attachment to their home towns. I don't think I will be moving back to the Hoosier state :)