• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

P.U. (aka the noxious odor thread)

Floridays

Cyburbian
Just ran across the following article (SunSentinal) about a CA library system that can ask stinky patrons to leave.

SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif. -- A new county law aims to keep readers from reeking.
Libraries in San Luis Obispo County have had their own rules banning offensive body odor since 1994, but the policy became law after the Board of Supervisors last month adopted an ordinance that lets authorities kick out malodorous guests...
"The point is to make the library a comfortable, safe place for everyone to use," said Moe McGee, assistant director of the San Luis Obispo City-County Library.
A strict code of conduct, officials argue, is needed to ensure one patron's right to use a public library doesn't infringe on the rights of another.
Yet the law can raise tough questions for librarians, said Irene Macias, Santa Barbara's library services manager.
"What is bad odor?" Macias asked. "A woman who wears a strong perfume? A person who had a garlicky meal?"

What are some "aromas" that make your stomach queasy? :victory:
What are some of your favorite smells? :p

An excellent thread for a pregnant woman with her Super Nose to comment on:

Bad Personal Odors - Overwhelming Old Lady Perfume is a horrible one - cloying and gag inducing. But really, we keep an aeresol can under the front counter for the occasional Stinky Stinky Man. This isn't the contractor that's been out working in the sun all day, this is the guy who hasn't showered in three days, after working out in the sun and his stink lingers long after he leaves. gag!

The One

Cyburbian
Bad tea

Any meat that's left out too long will make me gag.....
Ever notice that swiss cheese doesn't smell good, but does taste good......?
Smell of fish or shrimp gone bad at the supermarket (Winn Dixie :-c ) Gross..... :-c
Driving past a Turkey Farm and the piles of manure......GAG......
A lizards cage just before getting cleaned....... :victory: +o(

oh yeah, and bad AZ iced tea....yuck

kms

Cyburbian
We lived by a chicken farm. Big PU twice each year when manure was spread. Even worse, I knew a woman whose poor dental health caused her breath to smell the same way.

Good smells.. any baking bread, Thanksgiving dinner, summer.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
Staff member
My brother lived about a quarter mile from a huge cattle feed lot in Abilene, TX. He dreaded the north winds.

Burnt coffee is pretty bad.

Being next to the morbidly obese, sweaty guy that never uses deodorant at the gym when he does the shoulder press machine. +o( I do admire that he is trying to get in shape though.

Rotting meat, like when you drive by roadkill and don't get your windows up fast enough.

Zoning Goddess

Cyburbian
Bad: frying fish, dead skunks, cheap cologne, burnt popcorn
Good: Christmas trees, homemade soup, the ocean breeze

zman

Cyburbian
The worst smell for me was backpacking through some "bog" or water logged areas of southwest Colorado a couple summers ago. The smell of decaying organic matter was bad enough, but when we came by a dead cow who got stick in the mud that was bloated and rotting in the heat, THAT is a smell I will never forget, even if I smell it once...
I also don't like the cigarette smell from some people. (This is coming from a former smoker), but one time a lady's breath smelled so bad (a combo of stale breath and a carton of non-filters) when she spoke to me I thought I was going to puke :victory:

I do like smells though, bread baking, garlic being cooked, Thanksgiving is good too, as well as a fresh, real Christmas tree being brought in (oh, the joys of childhood), just the general smell of my grandparents home in Memphis (sort of a combination of southern humidity, good food, and family history, this is hard to break down though)

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Bad: the men's room at the beach in South Haven...the dumpster behind the 'Empire Chinese Buffet'......dried vomit in a car parked in full sun....dead worms after a rain.....uncle Carl....

Good: popcorn......new tires....gasoline in small quantities......some pipe tobaccoes....fireworks.....french onion soup.....

(as if y'all required any other evidence of my strangeness - I actually LIKE the smell of musk and will roll the car window down to get a good whiff of skunk! - TRUE!)

Oh, and what Zman said - I also like this certain smell that I associate with the Carolinas on a summer night - a sort of humid pine-like scent. Hard to describe but maybe others here know what I'm talking about)

otterpop

Cyburbian
Floridays said:
Just ran across the following article (SunSentinal) about a CA library system that can ask stinky patrons to leave.

Libraries in San Luis Obispo County . . .. :p

This thread reminds me of my stint as a planner in Alaska. The Ketchikan Public Library was along Ketchikan Creek and when the salmon started dying off at the end of the spawning season the library smelled of rotting fish for more than two months. I couldn't bear to be inside for more than a few minutes. How the librarians could stand it I don't know?

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Ever pass a rending plant? The hands-down worst smell.
Burning hair / burning flesh are a close second. :-x

I have an antique white lilac that is absolutely aromatic.
Honeysuckle is a close second.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
One lovely smell I never have to go back to.....my ex-wife's hometown. The paper mill was such a lovely backdrop to the reception....

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Let's see ...

Piles of fermenting silage. Gag!

Bakery recycling plants. There's one that used to stink up most of northwest Buffalo, with a smell similar to fermenting silage.

Old lady perfume. That rose/lavender scent is bad enough, but because the sense of smell of those that wear it isn't up to par, they use more so they can actually smell it.

A bathroom that was just vacated by someone with Crohn's Disease. Score extra stink points if it was at a T of A.

About 20% of the men attending a LAN party, gaming party, or con of any sort. Seriously, don't these folks know how bad they smell?

Floridays

Cyburbian
NHPlanner said:
One lovely smell I never have to go back to.....my ex-wife's hometown. The paper mill was such a lovely backdrop to the reception....
*L* Reminds me of my sister-in-law's hometown which only existed due to a petroleum company. The wedding was there..an entire weekend. The water reeked...the whole town smelled +o( We couldn't leave fast enough!

Other bad smells: Emptying a vase of dead flowers is nasty. I gag.
The smell of chicken boiling in water.

Good smells: fresh coffee, oranges, seaside breezes, vanilla candles, babies

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
Dan said:
Piles of fermenting silage. Gag!

Huh, I kind of like that smell, rotting soybeans on the other hand.....

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
Decatur, Ill on a hot humid summer day with no breeze.

zman

Cyburbian
I Suppose I could add Greeley, Colorado to the list. (College town for myself and The One)
With the Swift & Co. meat processing plant on the north side, sugar beet refinery on the east, and the numerous feed lots in the surrounding areas, the whole twon smelled pretty bad.
Of course, you would get used to it, but my freshman year, when the wind was right, that smell would hang around the dorms for days...

Floridays said:

Libraries in San Luis Obispo County have had their own rules banning offensive body odor since 1994, but the policy became law after the Board of Supervisors last month adopted an ordinance that lets authorities kick out malodorous guests...
"The point is to make the library a comfortable, safe place for everyone to use," said Moe McGee, assistant director of the San Luis Obispo City-County Library.
A strict code of conduct, officials argue, is needed to ensure one patron's right to use a public library doesn't infringe on the rights of another.
Yet the law can raise tough questions for librarians, said Irene Macias, Santa Barbara's library services manager.
"What is bad odor?" Macias asked. "A woman who wears a strong perfume? A person who had a garlicky meal?"
[ot]I haven't read most of the thread but this strikes me as a left-handed way to keep out homeless people, who sometimes use the library as a means to escape inclement weather.[/ot]

boilerplater

Cyburbian
Ever pass a rending plant? The hands-down worst smell.
I had a project adjacent to a fat-rendering plant. We had to get out and see the site, walk around. The site was located in Newark, NJ, a stone's throw from Rt. 1&9 (it was actually a rebuilding of a section of 1&9) so you had the engine fumes mixing with this stench on a hot summer day. It was just astounding that something on this earth could smell so bad! I couldn't get within 20' feet of it. How do the people who work there stand it? Do they cauterize their olfactory lobes?

I had another project where they were spreading biosolids, which is a nice word for dried sewage sludge. I had a headache within 5 minutes of arrival. Apparently you can get used to it. The first day they were spreading it several of the workers got sick, but eventually they adjusted.

donk

Cyburbian
There are only a few smells I can't take

1) Poultry barns. Rotten memories of having to clean turkey barns in august. Worst is that on a few of my rides in the last 2 places I've lived have had them on the route.

2) The Sulphur from paper plants is pretty bad. Some call it the smell of money...

3) Any port a pottie at a bike race. High fiber and carbs and nerves don't mix.

4) Coffee. My last office was right next to the coffee machine, a few times when I was a bit under the weather I almost lost it.

5) My cycling jerseys after a hard ride, my own scent makes me ill. One of my nicknames when I raced was stinkboy.

This list is from a guy that worked in a pig barn and would eat lunch in/near the barn.

Favourite smells

1) Warm asphalt during a warm humid rain.
2) Roast beef dinners
3) Leaves from Walter Ingersen Geraniums
4) Donkeys/Horses/Ponies
5) Hair cleaned with a specific barand of shampoo.

Richmond Jake

You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!
donk said:
...[snip]...The Sulphur from paper plants is pretty bad. Some call it the smell of money...[snip]....
Whoa...that's what they call it here, too. When the wind comes from the southeast, it's pretty bad. Thanks for building it there St. Joe.

Good smells:
I like the smell of a clean, healthy baby. I could tell my kids apart by smell and could identify which pillow belonged to whom. I always tell my oldest that I did not murder him when he was little because he had three times the usual amount of that "you must love me because I am so CUTE" baby-hormone smell.

I also like the smell of a sweaty guy -- not after it has dried and turned to stench, mind you. And not all men. Some men smell better than others.

Cinnamon. Good coffee. Roses.

(Ironically, I cannot drink much coffee but I love the smell of it.)

Bad smells:
Someone on a lot of medication, especially if it is constant (that is part of why those little old ladies wear so much perfume -- probably part of why people dislike their "perfume" smell too).

Manure used as fertilizer on the fields in Germany. You could smell it sometimes in our bathroom from the fields near our apartment. Visitors sometimes thought it was the bathroom -- like I didn't clean it. Ugh.

Burning rubber.

Burning/melting plastic.

And probably a zillion other things.

Ass. Planner

Cyburbian
Bad: When I am downwind of the paper mill in Kaukauna, WI, I won't even go outside to work in my garden; While I love beer itself, I hate the smell of it when Mr. AP is brewing in our kitchen; Rotten oranges; rotten fish

Good: TAPE! I love the smell of tape! It reminds me of wrapping Christmas gifts (I love wrapping gifts); Men's cologne...the right cologne can make me melt; I love the smell of a crisp fall day

jsk1983

Cyburbian
Bad: fish, popcorn, bag lunches (I'm not sure why), b.o., stale beer, dumpsters (esp. w/ food), some coffee (others i quite enjoy, though I don't drink it)

Good: Anything baking (esp. cookies), x-mas trees, clean laundry, basil, fall (leaves)

When you are working in a pulp mill or oil refinery and you get a whiff of that rotten egg smell wafting from around where you're working....RUN !!! -- That's H2S ( Hydorgen sulfide gas ) and it will kill you ...... :-o :-o :-o

graham.

The One

Cyburbian
Yeah....but.....

zmanPLAN said:
I Suppose I could add Greeley, Colorado to the list. (College town for myself and The One)
With the Swift & Co. meat processing plant on the north side, sugar beet refinery on the east, and the numerous feed lots in the surrounding areas, the whole twon smelled pretty bad.
Of course, you would get used to it, but my freshman year, when the wind was right, that smell would hang around the dorms for days...
My freshman year in the late 80's (prior to the feedlot being moved was NASTY Stinky at Greeley, Colorado. After the lots were moved further east, it only hit about once or twice a week and for short periods of time.....thank goodness.....But at least its not like the entire state of Nebraska (stinks all the time.... :-D ;) :cool: ) Tag Nebraskan's your it.... :-D
GREELEY IS NASTY-----DON't GO THERE!!! (I say this, because I want to save it from all the crappy growth that is taking place in Colorado) But nothing I do will keep Weld County from getting their piece of the Sprawl Pie I suppose.... :-(

SkeLeton

Cyburbian
Bad smells: Rotten eggs (as in bad catalitic filters in cars and paper mills), cheap perfume in "I just bathe in cologne" quantities, fermenting silage, latrines, strong and fungus infested cheese, manure...etc.....

Good smells: Coffee, baking bread, cinnamon,citric smells like lemon and such, and the smell of woods (Valdivian Rainforest to be more precise)

bump
Not Fake News!
Scientists discover the secret behind bad body odor

"The culprit is an enzyme called C-T lyase, found in the bacterium Staphylococcus hominis, which dwells in human armpits. These bacteria feed on odorless chemicals released in sweat, which the enzyme then converts into thioalcohols—a pungent compound responsible for the offending smell."

The researders identified the gene in S. hominis that codes for C-T lyase. They then "inserted it into a different species of bacteria—one that usually plays no part in body smells. That bacteria suddenly began to produce body odor, confirming the enzyme as the guilty party."

"Knowing the precise enzyme responsible for body odor opens up possibilities for targeted, longer lasting deodorants and antiperspirants."

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Part 2 for me.

Bad: Living in one of America's crunchy cities, whenever I come across someone who smells especially ripe, they usually meet the stereotype.

I can't stand the smell of tuna. Not good tuna steaks, but canned tuna, cat food, and the kind of tuna my wife loves to put in her salads -- it's gag-inducing. Same thing with brussels sprouts, sauerkraut, and maybe a bit less with cabbage.

Who said Greeley? I've been to Greeley I've smelled Greeley all the way from Fort Collins, when the wind was blowing just right. Greeley smells like freshly baked chocolate chip cookies compared to the armpit that is Clovis, New Mexico. (One of my best friends is from Clovis, and she doesn't disagree with my assessment.)

I'll also never forget the smell of Lackawanna, New York, when Bethlehem Steel was still in full operation. While the closure of all the steel mills south of Buffalo in the 1980s was economically devastating to the region, some say it helped spur on a mini-development boom in the Southtowns.

Good: Favorite smells that come to mind are the New Mexico desert during and just after a gentle rain, tobacco (but not burning), new car interiors, shoe stores in Mexico, 8-week old puppy breath, and boiling wort when I'm homebrewing.

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
On the other hand, my vegan daughter never smells - honestly, she doesn't - she can go days without showering and does not smell at all - we think eating beef and pork products brings toxic smells to our blood stream but it's just anecdotal, of course

Me? I feel like all those years of Hamburger Helper and Ho-Ho's growing up make me need to be a 2-shower-a-day person for real

I wonder if it's been studied, seriously