• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Paid planning commissioners?

Do the planning commissioners for your municipalities get paid?

• Yes

Votes: 3 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 19 86.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ssc

Cyburbian
Do the planning commissioners in your town (or city or village or...) get a stipend? I sit on our local planning board and do more work than all the Village trustees put together and yet we don't get a penny (unlike the Trustees). And, with no planning staff, I end up doing all the same work for free that I actually get paid to do as a city planner (my real job). I know serving on the planning board is fulfilling my civic responsiblity, but I am feeling a little taken advantage of these days...

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Our commission has eleven members -- three serve by virtue of their office (city council, parks board, city engineer). No money for them. All others are paid $50US each meeting. ZBA has five members -- each is paid $75US. Attendance required for pay. We have failed to get a quorum only twice since we started paying some 6 years ago.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
In the 3 munis I've worked for, only one paid its pc members a stipend, and it was $10 per meeting. Thought *at the time* being, you devote 1 night a month to publuc service, we'll pay you enough to take the wife to a nice meal somewhere oce a month.

$10.

Nice meal.

*yawn*

Cardinal

Cyburbian
From my experience, it is very rare to have members of boards and commissions get any pay, although common council members usually get a stipend. The problem that you end up doing all of the work because there is no paid staff is a problem. It could also pose a conflict for you at times. Your city needs to address this, if by no other means than by contracting with a private firm to provide "on call" planning services.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Chet said:
In the 3 munis I've worked for, only one paid its pc members a stipend, and it was $10 per meeting. Thought *at the time* being, you devote 1 night a month to publuc service, we'll pay you enough to take the wife to a nice meal somewhere oce a month.

$10.

Nice meal.

*yawn*
Now that we pay members, I am even more amused by the "THWWWWWWIP" thread:-D

H

Cyburbian
[sarcasm]Most PCs I know are paid directly by the developer.[/sarcasm] ;)

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
Never had paid members. I saw one place that did, and there was a neat little provision in the policy statement: members are paid double for special meetings, and the applicant foots the bill.

The One

Cyburbian
Food & Site Visit

I used to work in a place where the staff would take the Planning Commission and Board of Adjustment to lunch after a site visit. Sometimes the lunch would add up to about $20 a person. The County paid for the meal. Only problem, some of the members would drink (and I don't mean water) during lunch!

Budgie

Cyburbian
Statute

In reference to the Planning Commission, Kansas State Statute 12-744.(b). states that:

"Members of the commission shall serve without compensation."

Repo Man

Cyburbian
They don't get paid, but I think maybe they should. That may attract better PC members or at least encurage some of them to read the staff report or visit the sites prior to the meeting.

GeogPlanner

Cyburbian
Repo Man said:
They don't get paid, but I think maybe they should. That may attract better PC members or at least encurage some of them to read the staff report or visit the sites prior to the meeting.
Is there so little interest that this is the case? I've only been asked to serve on one commission so far in life. I'd like to be on my town's comission (I think...last time I wanted a spot on a commission, I got it and it was grueling!).

Repo Man

Cyburbian
GeogPlanner said:
Is there so little interest that this is the case? I've only been asked to serve on one commission so far in life. I'd like to be on my town's comission (I think...last time I wanted a spot on a commission, I got it and it was grueling!).
Oh no...there are always people willing to be on the Plan Commission. In fact one of the people who rarely goes to the site is on all kinds of boards, committees, and commissions.