• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it away, sell it, or spam you), or through Facebook or a Microsoft ID. Google and Twitter coming soon. 🙂

Parallel parking space dimensions

So in reading this thread I still didn't see the answer to the question that I needed the answer to...WHAT are the "average" dimensions to the "standard" acceptable parallel parking space?

While I am neither a working or a designer of such things...I am a mother who is teaching my son to drive and need to set up a space such as this to have him practice. I live in Michigan and while I have measured a few spaces in order for him to practice, all have been different. I don't know if it is the weather that has brought them to different sizes...however, there must be a required measurement?

Can someone help me with this? I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Deller.

Deller, if you are looking to provide advice to a youngster on parallel parking your best bet are a series of sizes. These can vary greatly because each seems to be based on a different standard. In addition, many people will routine ignore good planning and try to jam as many cars into as small of a space as possible.

Flint will have older neighborhoods with tight parking. It will also have areas with very generous parking. A parent should be able to supervise their child in teaching them the correct way to drive without few issues from police, who are generally VERY supportive of parents who actually teach their kids to drive responsibly. I'd drive him/her to the side street and let them practice once you feel they have mastered the cones at Courtland, Genessee Valley, U of M, Mott, or whatever large parking lot you find that is empty on an off peak time.

Be sure that you don't stop with driving, an independant person needs to know how to get around by bus or the proper rules for operating a bicycle as well. On behalf of other Michiganders I thank you for teaching your childen in a responsible manner. ;)

Failure to Stripe Causes Loss of Parking Rather Than Flexibility

"Again, why do you need a length? Where I come from, there are no pavement markings delineating on-street parking and it works itself out just fine."

I'm glad to hear that someone lives in parking utopia. In the real world, our community has tried not having designated lengths for nearly 2 years now and it has been a total disaster. The flexibility and efficiency we hoped to achieve by allowing cars to utilize the space as necessary according to the size of the vehicle, has, in practice, been replaced by huge gaps of unused space between vehicles. This space is wasted, in that it is just under what a vehicle would need to park and significantly more than would be required for maneuvering. Multiply this "gapping", as we call it, along a several block area and you have given up parking that could have been used by 15-20 cars. Multiply this across a neighborhood or shopping district, and you have lost a significant parking resource.

This gapping isn't always caused by inattentive drivers failing to use the space efficiently, although this is a problem. It also occurs as a result of the randomness of vehicle size. For example, a large vehicle requiring 25 feet departs and is replaced by a compact requiring only 17 feet, leaving an 8 foot gap that is not usable by anyone else. This accordion effect takes place all day long, creating a haphazard and inefficient use of the space. In an effort to reclaim the wasted space, our community is planning to designate the length of parallel parking places. This will give us a consistent number of parking places laid out in a manner that will best exploit the available space. We are currently analyzing the length and width specifications employed in other communities to inform our decision regarding space sizing, hence our participation on this site.

ITE/MUTCD

Where maneuvering is included in the space, the length ranges from 22 to 26 ft. Where maneuvering is marked separately, the space length is 20 ft. :D