• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Paris to ban SUVs?

H

Cyburbian
WTF...I agree with the frogs...

...but are they going to ban the super cool, gas guzzling, super fast, pedestrian bulldozing, ramp jumping, turbo charged 1981 Firebird I am planning to buy?

PS. I am only kidding. I just am pointing out that many and most cars get equal or worse mileage than SUVs and are equal dangerous when they go fast. Why is it that cars can legally be made that go faster than legal speed limits. If I am only allowed to drive 70 then why does my car go up to 100 plus???

Dont take this as me going soft on the SUV... I still despise them as always. Lets ban all cars from city centers..for that matter, lets ban them from all areas of the city, parks, schools (especially U's), and so on. They come in handy when going into less dense areas or from one city to another in the same region but whay do we need to drive to the El Taco Loco for lunch...if it wasnt for the vast parking lots of separation it could be in walking distance. :)

Last edited:

AubieTurtle

Cyburbian
In my condo there is a hummer that is always parked in the handicap parking spaces. We confronted the owner and he said the reason he parks there is because the parking spot that came with his condo is two levels up and the hummer can't make the turns in the parking deck. So even though he made the choice of buying a hummer and made the choice of buying a condo with a parking space that he couldn't reach, he feels entitled to a handicap spot. There is cheap parking across the street ($1.50/day, $45/month), but he isn't willing to pay and kept getting ticketed over there for parking without paying. We finally got everything in place this week to be able to have him and the dooley that has been parking across a parking space and fire lane, towed.

In the case of Paris, I wonder how much of it isn't the gas consumption as much as the size of the vehicles. A hummer might be able to climb a mountain but it can't make tight turns, which could be a problem in older cities. I know Paris has grand boulevards but are the neighborhood streets small?

Budgie

Cyburbian
At it again.

Paris will be teaming with Segways or similar devices in the future. With the amount of energy produced by a gallon of gasoline, a Segway can travel approximately 450 miles. Nearly all of my in-town trips are on my Segway or my feet, including grocery shopping twice a week. There has been a Segway rental business in Paris for at least the last 6 months.

Check this video out.

http://www.segway.com/video/

freewaytincan

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Paris will be teaming with Segways or similar devices in the future. With the amount of energy produced by a gallon of gasoline, a Segway can travel approximately 450 miles. Nearly all of my in-town trips are on my Segway or my feet, including grocery shopping twice a week. There has been a Segway rental business in Paris for at least the last 6 months.

Check this video out.

http://www.segway.com/video/
Wait, so you actually use those things?! Ha ha ha! I wouldn't be caught dead on a Segway. I'm a walkin'/bikin' guy myself. Besides, you just look so goofy on those crazy devices.

And how many SUVs do they have in Paris, anyway? I don't remember seeing practically any both times I was there.

Budgie

Cyburbian
freewaytincan said:
Wait, so you actually use those things?!
Hell yeah I use one. I've owned it for over a year and have had no operating or maintenance costs other than a few dollars in electricity. In fact I've used it in conjunction with DART.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I finallt saw somebody using one in Madison yesterday. I would have figured there would be several there already.

Budgie, I still think you should try to be the first person to cross the continent on a Segway. Think about it. PBS could be doing a documentary of your life some day.

jordanb

Cyburbian
I saw a cop on a segway here. He looked like a dork. Also he looked like he'd be doing himself a favor by walking.

Rumpy Tunanator

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
Budgie, I still think you should try to be the first person to cross the continent on a Segway. Think about it. PBS could be doing a documentary of your life some day.
I'll sponsor you with this.

mgk920

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
I finallt saw somebody using one in Madison yesterday. I would have figured there would be several there already.

I wonder how well the USPS' Segway experiments went. I would think that an entity like them or a big-city police department would be a 'natural' fit for them.

Mike

freewaytincan

Cyburbian
Budgie said:
Hell yeah I use one. I've owned it for over a year and have had no operating or maintenance costs other than a few dollars in electricity. In fact I've used it in conjunction with DART.
Waaaaaaaaait a minute there man, you live here?!

Queen B

Cyburbian
freewaytincan said:
Waaaaaaaaait a minute there man, you live here?!
This is Budgie on Queen B's machine. I have family in the Dallas area and I have traveled from Plano to downtown Dallas via DART with my Segway. Yes, freewaytincan, we are out there and just because you don't see us, doesn't mean we don't exist. With the thousands of typical boobs out there driviing their cars down 75 from McKinney to Dallas, it doesn't surprise me that we are under your radar. What I'm saying is that I'm not the only one to do this, and most who combine rail and segway are daily commuters in Chicago, Los Angeles, New York and Boston. Segway doesn't pay your salary, therefore they are the enemy. Constant "upgrading" of roadways that induce additional travel miles is what makes your livelihood. I will send you ****ing picutres if you don't believe me. The DART personnel I have met along my journeys have been very supportive and what a Segway for themselves. I will be in the Metromess in July if you'd like to discuss this over a pint. How about Dilley Plaza at high noon?

Don't you think it's time that everyone wakes up from "Henry Ford Syndrome"?

boilerplater

Cyburbian

Yeah, even Henry Ford did in his declining years. He built a replica of the village of his youth, with the first factory. He want to to recreate the type of town that his invention had destroyed. Dearborn Village maybe? Any of you Detroiters know about this or have visited it?

Its interesting you mention that people who use other forms of commuting are invisible to highway engineers. When I was at the NJDOT, they had a row of bike lockers, which I never saw used. A few people would take the bus however.

In yesterday's local paper was an editorial with a quote from a former NYC transportation engineer, stating that his profession had failed miserably in the past 50 years, and that you could compare it to doctors never having cured polio, smallpox, malaria, and the other bacteria-borne diseases.

A bridge commission that administers the old two-lane bridge where George Washington crossed the Delaware is considering banning SUVs from using it due to the narrowness of the bridge in relation to SUVs. Some cars have lost side mirrors and scraped their sides to fit.

The Irish One

People power rules, bike it, walk it, skate it.
Segways are ok with me, they might look dorky but I like that someone is doing something different and more power to you.
Paris is so beautiful, banning SUV's from the city center should be a design standard. Maybe dogs should be banned as well.

The Irish One said:
Paris is so beautiful, banning SUV's from the city center should be a design standard. Maybe dogs should be banned as well.
You want to ban dogs? Why don't you ban fat people. We could put up really tight bollards at the entrance to the city so that you have to squeeze through to get in.

I *may* be kidding, just like you.

ChevyChaseDC

Cyburbian
The Irish One said:

Seriously. It's hard to enjoy Paris' beauty when you have to look down all the time to avoid stepping in dog feces. Or, even worse, not being able to enjoy the inside of Cathedral of Notre Dame because the bottom of your shoes are 'muddy' (a euphemism).

freewaytincan

Cyburbian
Queen B said:
I wish. Though I generally use rail/bus combined with foot travel. I'm sorry, but I'd rather walk in the heat than be seen on one of those. Just me feelings on it.

Hah! Over a pint! You know I was born in '86, right?

Oh, and "Metromess"? Please...it's better than Houston, at least. Then again, so is drinking boliling water while being impaled on a stick.

The One

Cyburbian
London Also

While in London in 98, I noticed a lot of SUV's in the streets, mostly the smaller jeeps, chevy's and fords....but still was a major shock....at least I had a need when I got my SUV (lived at 8500 feet and drove through frozen tundra to get to work in the winter).

jresta

Cyburbian
On Le Journal last night they were talking about national penalties for SUVs.

- - - the Paris restrictions would just be for older parts of the city and really amount to height/weight restrictions. The national penalties would be related to emmissions with a 3000 euro tax on the worst vehicles . . . and a 300 euro break on the best vehicles. From what i heard it sounds like the rest of the money is going into transit.