• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Park and Ride

Joe Iliff

Reformed City Planner
My city's Transportation Committee is starting to think about establishing a Park and Ride opportunity here in town. We're located north of Dallas, and DART (Dallas Area Rapid Transit) is opening a Light Rail station in the next town to the south of us (Plano) in December.

Anyone have any good ideas for sources of information. This isn't something I've had a lot of experience in.

Thanks.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
I have a ton of information on Park and Ride - unfortunately, most of it is not in electronic form. I'll look around and see what I can dig up. Is there anything specific you're looking for?

green22

INACTIVE
My personal unscientific opinion is that if you need a parking lot to get people to use public transit in your community ,it is in bad shape. Downsides: increases price per ride of transit, hurts ability to create a commercial node at the station, People need to start each day driving and are let out of the parking lot in their cars at rush hour which is not as helpful in reducing traffic, people who expect to use their car to access transit are very fickle transit fans. Many cities are now in a hole where they are putting their huge commuter lots and stations in the middle of nowhere so they can find enough land. These stations are almost impossible to urbanize to get the cheaper walk in customers.