• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Parking lot design standards to reduce heat island effect

tbagato

Cyburbian
I am looking to see if anyone has any information that would provide design standards for parking lots to reduce heat island effect within them. We have found that our parking lot shade tree requirement is not as effective as we intended when it was designed. I am not looking for other methods of reducing the heat island effect other than just shade trees. Some options include increasing general landscape area, installing carports with reflective roofs, and/or providing a pavement surface with a certain percentage of reflective.

DVD

Cyburbian
I don't have any specific standards, but you might want to look at MAG (Maricopa Association of Governments). It's the Phoenix area MPO. I think they may have done some work on the area. I can only offer the usual. Concrete over asphalt or use impervious soil parking. Shade and reflection like you mentioned. Wind orientation might be a small help.

ColoGI

Cyburbian
I am looking to see if anyone has any information that would provide design standards for parking lots to reduce heat island effect within them. We have found that our parking lot shade tree requirement is not as effective as we intended when it was designed. I am not looking for other methods of reducing the heat island effect other than just shade trees. Some options include increasing general landscape area, installing carports with reflective roofs, and/or providing a pavement surface with a certain percentage of reflective.
I'll wager your peninsulas and islands do not have enough soil volume to support the trees you require, and you don't require decompaction under them. Also, I bet the spacing between islands-peninsulas is too wide. Possibly perimeter plantings are the same. PM me to let me see your ordinance & discuss, I'll try to remember to check messages PDQ.

tbagato

Cyburbian
I'll wager your peninsulas and islands do not have enough soil volume to support the trees you require, and you don't require decompaction under them. Also, I bet the spacing between islands-peninsulas is too wide. Possibly perimeter plantings are the same. PM me to let me see your ordinance & discuss, I'll try to remember to check messages PDQ.
I sent the code in a message. Let me know if you got it, and what your thoughts are. I forgot to include my email, but it is tbagato at cityofpalmdesert org

Last edited by a moderator: