• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Zoning Parking requirements for indoor storage facilities

luckless pedestrian

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hey does anyone have a parking requirement standard that seems to work for the newer indoor climate-controlled storage facilities.

They are a little different than the standard u-store-it products because you park and go in, there is a loading area but it's not a pull-up-to-your-unit kind of thing that needs little parking at all.

Thanks in advance!

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
Not really, but I just use the minimum retail reg for the front counter area (as they sometimes sell packing materials, etc) and then just our 1/2000 sqft from our warehouse reg.

Then allow for a sizeable 'loading' areas.

Last edited:

Faust_Motel

Cyburbian
This would be a "most industrial uses start at a baseline of 1/1000sf, but can be adjusted from there" scenario in my community. I'd use our usual calculation for the retail area.

Honestly I wonder how even remotely relevant our parking numbers are or will be in the future. Even as small amount of durable WFH/ flexible work hours is going to change peak parking demand for EVERYTHING else. (Like you can go to your storage unit at 10:00 on a Tuesday morning now because your work schedule is flexible) A conversation for another day/thread.

I'd probably want testimony from the applicant about their parking demand at other sites, if possible, or survey data from similar ones if anybody had done it.

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Given the general lack of activity at self-storage places, we went with a very liberal requirement, and have not had any issues with them so far:
Storage, self-serve1 per 250 storage units plus 2 for employees)