• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Parks isolated by interstates?

HPI

I am currently looking into the idea of designing a new park on a piece of property in an urban neighborhood. The property is bordered on three sides by interstates and railroad tracks. My client is adamant that no park that is bounded by interstates on more than one side has ever succeeded. The client claims this is a well-known fact and that there are multiple precedents to verify this. I have been doing research on this subject and can't seem to find any information to either substantiate or contradict this claim.

Does anyone have any examples of this? I am ideally looking for parks that have been successful in spite of their proximity to the interstates, but would be interested in more information on the alternative as well.

Gedunker

Moderating
Waterfront Park in Louisville is very successful. It is bounded by I-65 and I-64/71. It can be fairly loud, but the noise becomes less obtrusive if you are accustomed to being in an urban space.

mercdude

Cyburbian
What kind of park - commercial/industrial park, neighborhood park, etc? I would say that the noise levels would be fairly objectionable to a neighborhood park but that wouldn't make it 'unsuccessful', just not utilized by typical citizens/families and therefore, probably suspect to intrusion by unsavory individuals.