• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Parks & Recreation Standards

My planning firm is conducing a parks and recreation needs analysis for a small Ohio city. I am wondering if and where I could get ahold of a national standard for parks and recreation provision for cities. I've heard that there is a standard out there for parks provision for a community based on population size, demographics, income, existing available parks, etc.

Any leads?

Thanks!

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
NPRA Standards

I had the same question about a year ago. The National Park and Recreation Association used to have standards for community parkland acreage (by tot lot, neighborhood park, community park on a per-1,000 of population basis) and also for physical improvements such as bal diamonds etc on a per-1,000 of population basis. When we inquired with NRPA, they informed us that they no longer promoted those standards, although they encouraged each community to develop their own.

You can see what we came up with for our community at:

http://www.ci.muskego.wi.us/openspaceplan/openspaceplan2001-2005compiled.pdf

planasaurus

Cyburbian
Try the followinf books:

Park, Recreation, Open Space, and Greenway Guidelines
National Recreation and Park Association
3rd Ed. 1996

Parks: Design and Management
Leonard E. Phillips
McGraw-Hill, 1996

Park Planning Guidelines