• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Part 3

Jeff

Cyburbian
Is there any input fromt he public in all of this nonsense?

SW MI Planner

Cyburbian
So council members said they're considering reducing the commission's role by making its opinions merely advisory.
Isn't that their role anyway? At least in MI it is. The only thing the PC can approve outright are site plans and special use permits. Everything is merely a recommendation to City Council.

Anywho - good luck ;)

Cardinal

Cyburbian
Sleazy.

I will let you know of any jobs I come across in this area. If you have questions about anything in Wisconsin or Illinois, PM me.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
SW MI Planner said:
Isn't that their role anyway? At least in MI it is. The only thing the PC can approve outright are site plans and special use permits. Everything is merely a recommendation to City Council.

Anywho - good luck ;)
Same here + Conditional Uses, but our Council has often talked about "being the Plan Commission" in the weeks after an unpopular decision. I think its par for the course for un-savy Councils to think that way. (sorry un-savy Councils and Reading PA in particular!)

michaelskis

Cyburbian
With the way that it works in PA, most of the Planning commissions are an advisory board to the city council, but the PA municipal planning code allows for the city council to grant the decision making power to the planning commission, and the planning staff makes recommendations to the commission. It has been a great system so far because the members are educated on real aspects of "Planning" and not Politics. But we now realize that the political hand will stretch down to all levels, that money talks, and that every one has there own agenda. I can tell you how ever; we would love for the company to come to Reading. There is a great spot, but no one is listening to the staff.