• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

PAS--APA Rant

mike gurnee

Cyburbian
One of the best resources I have found through the years has been the Planning Advisory Service from APA. The ten or so reports a year have been most beneficial. Always on the practical side, they take an issue provide an analysis, and provide suggested solutions. I have almost every issue, including the April 1949 Number One (Mapped Streets, Building Lines, and Set Backs).

Every once in a while, they included more than one could absorb. It has been happening more frequently. Half of the last ten issues were at or over 100 pages...one at an astronomical 271.

The issue I got today (Ecological Riverfront Design) has 171 pages. I do not have time to read such a tome. I am not sure I will even look at all the pictures. APA, go back to the practical, easy to use format.

Last edited:

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
mike gurnee said:
I have almost every issue, including the April 1949 Number One (Mapped Streets, Building Lines, and Set Backs).
It's going for for over $10,000 on eBay. :)

I'd say go back to the old, easy-to-read format ... if they charged less. I wouldn't pay $20 for a six-page 1960s-style PAS Report.

We've got APSO reports dating back to the 1950s here. The old ones were just a few typewritten pages. I would expect more for $20 a month now (I think), though.

It might be nice if the APA produced a cheap CD-ROM with all the classis PAS Reports ... maybe from 1949 to 1980 or so.