• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Passing of a great

Jeff

Cyburbian
Boy that was a quick post. I was just going to do the same.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
One more for the competition!

Some friends of mine (I opt out) each throw in $100 a year (Total pot is $2300 this year).

Each person generates a list of 20 celebrities or politicians that will die in the calendar year. At the end of the year the one with the most correct deaths wins $2,000.

Then there are 3 special categories where you pick one name, categories are something like

- Lived too long
-Died to soon
-Most tragic death

Its fun to watch the competition. Morbid, but fun.

I remember watching his birthday special, which was really good, but also being amazed that he made it to 100.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
He was certainly one of the greats. There are almost none of the old vaudville actors left, are there? What he did over his life to entertain people would be enough for anyone, but when you also consider what he did for our troops for so many years, he was a national hero.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
What I remember most about him was his annual special on NBC where he'd introduce the Parade All-America football team.

He'd introduce each player, you knew he had no idea who they were, but he'd have a quick quip about each one.

Bob Hope worked in almost every major entertainment medium of the 20th Century - the stage, radio, film and TV - and was wildly successful in each one. I don't think anyone else will be able to duplicate that.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
did you know that there is the USNS Bob Hope (T-AKR 300)?

Seabishop

Cyburbian
Mike D. said:
Dude from Iron Butterfly died today too.
I'm afraid to know what the afterlife holds for the man responsible for Inagaddadavida. I can only imagine the music my Dad would have come up with if he was a musician in the early 70's.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
They say deaths come in threes.

This week we had Bob Hope, that guitar guy from Iron Butterfly, and this

I'll miss you all...