• Cyburbia is a fun, friendly, big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account, or use your email address.

Paved versus Gravel

Budgie

Cyburbian
I'm looking for studies or datasets that compare the costs of construction and maintenance for paved versus gravel roads. Also if anyone knows of any studies regarding ADT thresholds at which gravel roads should be paved, it would be a great help.

Thanks for any leads.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Sounds like a question custom-tailored for MikeD. He's the guru of roads IMO. :)

Jeff

Cyburbian
Cost of construction varies widely by where you are proposing the roadway. Let me know where you are (KS?) I may be able to help you out (but judging by the fact that you're interested in gravel roads, don't get your hopes up). I don't have any experience with gravel roads though. We pave everything around here. However, all roads are laid with a gravel subbase before being paved so in your estimates you can just subtract the paving.

Budgie

Cyburbian
If geographic specific data is available, I'd be looking for west central Georgia. Obviously every project is different, but an average figure would be useful. Thanks.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Hmmm...haven't done gravel roads for 3 years now. No idea on construction costs.

As for traffic thresholds for paving, I'm not sure if I've seen anything on that either. A lot depends on the use. Logging roads up north can see a fair bit of traffic, but they won't be paved. Same goes for roads serving seasonal residences. But as soon as you get year-round residential - they tend to want pavement.

Best guess - roads over say 5000 AADT would likely "need" to be paved... If I have some time, I'll try to dust off an ITE manual or two and have a look.

Jeff

Cyburbian
Re: Location

Budgie said:
If geographic specific data is available, I'd be looking for west central Georgia. Obviously every project is different, but an average figure would be useful. Thanks.
VA, TN, or FL...take your pick, and send me your e-mail