• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

PBS Must Die!

el Guapo

Capitalist
Dear KTWU,
Leni Riefenstahal never produced such a sick perversion of the truth as I witnessed tonight on my local PBS station KTWU. It was called Counting on Democracy and it was the most one-sided piece of propaganda I have seen since Triumph of Will. I'll oppose funding for PBS the rest of my days as a result of that insult to my intelligence.

The fact that you had no compunction in presenting that piece of biased and deceitful crap has made PBS one more sworn enemy for life. BTW - I am a former PBS financial supporter. I was not your biggest donor, but I'll now be one of your biggest public detractors. For now on when I write my elected officials I'll make sure I mention how much you deserve "privatizing."

Goodbye; you sanctimonious collection of leftist propagandists.

PS This is the angriest letter I have ever written. How does it compare to most of your hate mail? Take care and be sure to say hi to the Great Leader when Pyongyang calls to suggest next week’s programming!

I got that emailing bug out of my system tonight. I guess this means no more News Hour mug premiums with my $65.

Runner

Cyburbian
As basic DishNetwork subscribers who don't subscribe to any extra channels, we don't get the "local channels" so don't get PBS. The only reason I had considered upgrading to a new dish was to add the local package so we could get PBS. Guess we should save our money, eh El Guapo? Sounds like we need to stick to Discovery/History/TLC/HGTV/CSPAN, etc.

The Irish One

If I didn't watch PBS I'd never get to see The Mclaughlin Group. I also like Scientific American Frontiers and some of the Religious and Archeological programs.

donk

Cyburbian
But without PBS where would we learn a good recipe for squirrel manicotti? (as actually seen on the Detroit PBS station on Michigan Out of Doors)

I tend to agree the political stuff on PBS has a very specific leaning, but the science shows and some of the documentaries are really good.

Jeff

Cyburbian
And what about "Sesame Street".....

THE CHILDREN!!! THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!

Mike DeVuono said:
And what about "Sesame Street".....

THE CHILDREN!!! THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN!!
Bah! everyone knows that show is just a tool for the liberal agenda to indoctrinate children into accepting alternative lifestyles (bert and ernie).

el Guapo

Capitalist
I think she was joking, my Irish pal. Not that there is anything wrong with it if they were. ;)

The Irish One

Yeah, I actuall forgot to right the famous sienfeld response "not that there is anything wrong with that" as a kid bert and ernie were my favs

el Guapo

Capitalist
Don't forget Osama bin Bert

Bert - Evil and not gay.

Tinkie Winkie gay but not evil...

...not that there is anything wrong with that.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
We need PBS. Without it TV would even be a more of a vacuous wasteland of Reality TV, half-baked dramas, disease-of-the-week whinefests, dumb sports shows, oversexed, brain dead sit-coms, "infotainment," rap videos, bloated awards shows, and tons of attention span-shrinking, mind rotting commercials.

If you want to go after someone, go after Viacom and their relentless agenda of filth and glorification of intellectual bankruptcy being peddled endlessly on MTV.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Viacomschmiacom. Agreed that 95% of the media is waste and pablum. But I am not forced to pay for commercial TV garbage. PBS is funded from my tax money and thus I bitch that they promote an agenda that is anti-me and those like me. Hurumph!

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
But what about The American Experience? Did you have the opportunity to see that great series they did on New York a couple of years ago. Argueably the best documentary ever made. If it wasn't for PBS, that series may never have been produced.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I watched a program on folk music last night. It was wonderful! The major networks would never do anything like it. Yes, sometimes the programs have a slant, and perhaps more often liberal than conservative. But still, PBS is one of the very few places where you can still find far more intelligent programming than on the networks.

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
Michael Stumpf said:
But still, PBS is one of the very few places where you can still find far more intelligent programming than on the networks.
The PBS station in Buffalo played the tribute to Molly Sugden of "Are You Being Served?" twice this weekend...

el Guapo

Capitalist
Agreed PBS has some exceptional programming. I am a long time viewer and sporadic giver. But folks PBS/NPR have a clear political agenda.

I'm going to say this one more time. This time I'll distill my point: If you take tax dollars you should present either politically balanced programming or no political programming at all. Politicizing the national network is wrong!

Who decides what is balanced? That is another subject I'd be glad to debate. But back to my point. PBS is biased and I don't freaking like it.

This is one baby I am willing to toss out with the bathwater.

donk

Cyburbian
The PBS station in Buffalo played the tribute to Molly Sugden of "Are You Being Served?" twice this weekend...
While the set was horrible and the acting was passaable, just imagine the era the show was aired in and how far ahead of its time it was.

"Don't worry it will ride up, with wear"

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
donk said:

While the set was horrible and the acting was passaable, just imagine the era the show was aired in and how far ahead of its time it was.

"Don't worry it will ride up, with wear"
Yeah, the show was okay - though watching it now I can't understand how I thought it was so funny when I was a kid. The tribute show was really lame though...

Did anyone catch "The Perilous Fight" - America's WWII in colo(u)r last week? That was a good show, though the narration was a bit simplistic.

btw - El Guapo, I always used to think PBS was a "conservative" network...the News Hour, Lawrence Welk, etc. I didn't see the show that originated your beef, but it musta been pretty bad to rile you up so.

BKM

Cyburbian
I would partially agree with Transplanner. There do seem to be a lot of business programs that, while neutral in tone, do present information that would hardly be seen as radical. Much of the channel's cultural programming doesn't strike me as very leftist, either. Nor do many of the historical dramas have that strong a bias.

But, again, I didn't see the "at fault" show, either, so what do I know?

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
People, people, people!

We should be directing our anger at commercial radio, not public.

The rules regarding ownership and control of our public airwaves are a sham - and could get worse. I'm talking about the FCC rules that were relaxed in 1996 that enabled one company to control up to eight stations in one market (instead of just two previously). That was the catalyst for a buying frenzy for one of the most powerful and currupt media conglomerates - Clear Channel - to buy hundreds of independent radio stations and saturate the airwaves with talk shows, piped in news stories, and tons of commercials.

Now the rules could be relaxed even further to allow companies to control all three major forms of media - radio, TV, newspaper - in one market!

Right now, FCC rules prevent this, but that could change in a heartbeat of the lobbiests and propaganda whores from these companies grease up enough FCC board membes to relax the rules in their favor. Imagine living in a medium sized cities and have all the airwaves and print contolled by one company.

These are our airwaves! Yet Clear Channel will stop at nothing to keep you from knowing this. Don't let them get away with relaxing any rules of ownership. If anything we should force Clear Channel to sell off stations and force them to dedicate a certain number of hours a week for public service, like commercial radio used to in the 1980s.

Trust me, if companies like Clear Channel and Viacom had their way, they would conrol all radio instead of just the majority of frequencies. That way, everything to the left of the 91.9 frequency would be crap too.

Whatever so-called leftist-slanted views you may have heard on NPR, it could always be worse. You could be listening to Britney Spears.

Repo Man

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:
Now the rules could be relaxed even further to allow companies to control all three major forms of media - radio, TV, newspaper - in one market!
In Milwaukee the biggest daily newspaper owns the highest rated AM station, one of the highest rated FM stations, the local NBC affiliate, and all of the weekly community mewspapers. It is also in a lawsuit because it tried to eliminate the only other daily newspaper by offering free daily subscriptions with the purchase of a Sunday subscription in the target area of the other daily.

As for PBS, to be honest, I rarely watch PBS. If I want educational programming, cable TV has so many better options. They could take it off the air tomorrow and I wouldn't notice.

el Guapo

Capitalist
Super Amputee Cat said:
People, people, people!

We should be directing our anger at commercial radio, not public....
A pox upon their house too! Right on Brother S.A.C.!

It’s that damn punk ass son of Colin Powell giving up any semblance of media diversity to the corporate dawgs of media mind control. (This is actually what I think – not just my usual angry rhetoric)

We are seeing the big media become one with itself. Soon it will all be one homogenized corporate line of infotainment being spoon feed to you from the Wall Street Journal all the way down through your local paper the Manchester Get Off of My God Damned Land News-Gazette.

Running yellow dog lackeys of media merger fame wait until the proletariat workers of the world rise and cast off their imposed views and vanilla themed reality.

PBS under review: The POWER of Guapo
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...bpihw/lawmakers_call_for_cpb_review&printer=1

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
Clearchannel SUCKS

i was SO angry with their list of songs "not to play" after 9/11. they must control most of the stations in the DC area, they even play the same songs at the same time. i tune into a local AM talk/news station or put on CDs most the time

god that AM talk/news comment makes me feel old

Repo Man

Cyburbian
PlannerGirl said:
Clearchannel SUCKS /B]

I hate clearchannel, but I read something yesterday that I really thought was cool and creative (depending on how expensive it is and how they divide the profits to the bands). They have plans and the technology to record a live concert, burn it to a bunch of cds, and have them ready for sale 5 minutes after the concert is over. This will provide an opportunity for concert-goers to have a recorded cd of the concert in their own town.

See A Concert, Buy The CD