• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Ped-Friendly Service Station/Convenience Store

AustinPlanner

This may seem like an odd request, but I'm looking for any regulations that provide for a more pedestrian-friendly service station/convenience store. The inclination would be that these uses are not pedestrian-friendly by their very nature, but we are looking for a kinder and gentler development type for inner city and first-ring suburb redevelopment as well as for greenfield development. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

JNL

Cyburbian
I don't know about regulations, but some of the first things that come to mind are
-the use of paving to signal who has right of way: where the vehicle entry and exit points cross the sidewalk (assuming there is a sidewalk) you can use colour and paving variations to show that it is a pedestrian path and vehicles should give way (=yield)
-visibility of the pedestrians should be maintained at all times ie don't make them walk behind a large sign/wall etc
-you could use bollards, or a step (plus access ramp), or a change in grade, or colour in the area immediately in front of the store entrance to ensure pedestrians have safe access without cars blocking, or driving really close to, the doors

Repo Man

Cyburbian
If I can find better photos of the Mobil gas station in Delafield, Wisconsin, I will post them. These may provide some information. It is probably one of the better gas stations I have seen anywhere. They placed the building at a 0 setback so it fits in with the quaint buildings and shops in the downtown business district. The pumps are located behind the building and they are accessed by a side street and a driveway along the main street. There was a mini-specialty upscale grocery store in there at one time, although I am not sure if it remains.

Check out their website:

http://ci.delafield.wi.us/genstreet.htm

Here are some images:

The mobil station is on the right edge. You can barely see it, but you can see that the building has been brought up to the street.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
Repo - another example of my hometown getting it right!

I have some great pictures of that station at work. I'll post them as soon as I can dig them up.