• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Pedestrian = Bad Marketing?

H

Cyburbian
Definitions

Pedestrian:

adj : lacking wit or imagination; "a pedestrian movie plot" [syn: prosaic, prosy, earthbound]

Source: WordNet ® 1.6, © 1997 Princeton University

Pedestrian:

Undistinguished; ordinary: pedestrian prose. See Synonyms at dull.

Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth EditionCopyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe this explains a lot. If you are “pedestrian” you are dull, a dull traveler? Why would anyone want to be a dull traveler? This is just plain bad marketing.

Does anyone know the root to how this word became to mean both “dull” and “ foot traveler”?

I find this interesting, what are your thoughts? What could we call it? Instead of Pedestrian Paths maybe we call them “Environmental Paths”? Instead of peds we call walkers and bikers H.E.F.’s (Humans of Environmental Friendliness).

I can see it now; the sign reads “NO CARS IN THE HEF LANE”

BKM

Cyburbian
If you change it to "Humans of Environmentally Friendly Transport" (Or HEF-T) it would fit the United States better :)

H

Cyburbian
BKM said:
If you change it to "Humans of Environmentally Friendly Transport" (Or HEF-T) it would fit the United States better :)

Even though you said it in jest, I actually like that!

green lizard

We went through this once for a marketing proposal...

We came up with th following wordsmithing excrement:

Foot Paths
Pepole Trails

(and the really out there) Life Ways

we decided to go with Mixed Use Recreational Trails
or MURTs

We did not win that one....

H

Cyburbian
green lizard said:
We went through this once for a marketing proposal...

We came up with th following wordsmithing excrement:

Foot Paths
Pepole Trails

(and the really out there) Life Ways

we decided to go with Mixed Use Recreational Trails
or MURTs

We did not win that one....

I like people trails!

Which one did you all use?

jresta

Cyburbian
"footpath" is what they call the sidewalk in the UK/Australia/New Zealand so that one might be better.

Calling trails "bike/ped" or "multi-purpose" is cumbersome so i just call them "bike trails" and most folks not in on the planner jargon seem to understand that you can rollerblade and jog on them as well.

green lizard

Huston said:
I like people trails!

Which one did you all use?

Thanks for correcting my typing (people not pepole)

As I mentioned, we went with MURTs. All through
the presentation we were trying to sell them on MURTs.
MURT this MURT that....

We lost.