• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

pedestrian bulbouts (looking for pics)

plankton

Cyburbian
Our fair city will (hopefully) be adding some much needed greenery and pedestrian safety to its 'lil downtown core by installing pedestrian bulbouts at a few intersections.

The main roadway in the area has two 12-foot travel lanes with on-street parking allowed on both sides for a total paved street width of 36 feet. Six-foot curbside sidewalks exist along the highway and along the intersecting local streets. The two intersections that I'm most interested in improving have commercial buildings at the corners with zero-setbacks (precluding good site visibility).

If you could post an architectural rendering or a few good pics (or direct me to an applicable website), the next round's on me.

Is there a better name for these things than 'pedestrian bulbouts'?

Lastly, if you have success (or horror) stories in this area, I'd be interested to learn more......

JNL

Cyburbian
plankton said:
Is there a better name for these things than 'pedestrian bulbouts'?

Another name we use is kerb (curb) extensions. I have a few pics, I'll see what I can dig up.

JNL

Cyburbian
You are welcome :)

Some day I might actually get some qualifications in planning!

JNL

Cyburbian
Me again.... :)

Here's a pic I took (in Christchurch, South Island, New Zealand):

801DCP_0746.jpg

plankton

Cyburbian
mike gurnee said:
A potential problem is with street cleaning. Chat with your street department about it.

Good point. For better or for worse, I don't think our city sweeps its streets. B-)

Wulf9

Bulbouts are well worth it. They narrow the roadway where the pedestrian crosses. They also narrow the visual street width (particularly if you have a non-wimpy tree planted in the bulbout) so cars slow down.

Downsides. Drainage has to flow around the bulbout. If they aren't wide enough, parking becomes a nightmare (parkers start too close to the curb and never get their bearings for parallel parking). If they are wide enough, parking is no problem.

jresta

Cyburbian
Wulf9 said:
Drainage has to flow around the bulbout.

Nonsense. The storm drain remains where it is and the original curb line remains intact. A steel or tough plastic covering bridges the gap between the bulbout and the original curb (6-12 inches)quite seamlessly. Water flows unimpeded. Twice a year the fire dept. sticks a hose in there to flush out any problems or the cover is lifted and it gets swept away.