• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Pedestrian crossings

JNL

Cyburbian
Throbbing Brain - I am looking for info about how to select the type of pedestrian crossing facility to be installed on any given street - what are the decision criteria used? Flow diagrams perhaps? I'm not having much luck with google :-\

I'm also interested in ways of classifying different types of crossings e.g. priority or non-priority.

I'm helping out on a project to revise Pedestrian Crossing Facility Selection Guidance.

Last edited:

Doitnow

Cyburbian
Sorry! I may not be able to help you directly and specifically asyou may be following different techniques out there.

But I would definitely want to ask whether you have the pedestrian flow/traffic figures.Mid Block as well as at intersections.
There must be a minimum traffic which must want a pedestrian facility to be created!

Tranplanner

maudit anglais
JNL said:
Throbbing Brain - I am looking for info about how to select the type of pedestrian crossing facility to be installed on any given street - what are the decision criteria used? Flow diagrams perhaps? I'm not having much luck with google :-\

I'm also interested in ways of classifying different types of crossings e.g. priority or non-priority.

I'm helping out on a project to revise Pedestrian Crossing Facility Selection Guidance.

We use "warrants" here - a mathematical analysis which takes into account things like ped crossing volume, ped type (%elderly, child, adult), and auto volumes to determine if a crossing is needed ("waranted"). Geometric considerations also come into play to determine if a crossing is feasible.

JNL

Cyburbian
Tranplanner said:
We use "warrants" here - a mathematical analysis which takes into account things like ped crossing volume, ped type (%elderly, child, adult), and auto volumes to determine if a crossing is needed ("waranted"). Geometric considerations also come into play to determine if a crossing is feasible.

We use warrants too - but currently they are limited to assessing mainly just auto volumes and ped volumes. We want to revise the warrants to include a wider range of considerations, such as ped type, network considerations (improving access to nearby facilities), and types of auto traffic (e.g. trucks, buses).

Would be interested in seeing how your warrants incorporate ped type considerations, Tranplanner.

michaelskis

Cyburbian
JNA said:
Check out this website: http://www.walkinginfo.org/
click on Design Guidelines.

That is a great site...

I would suggest looking at variables such as amount of pedestrian traffic, road width, light times, painted, raised, or other material used for cross walks, bus stops, and location of near by features such as parking ramps, schools, and parks. I would also suggest looking at pedestrian / vehicle accidents, and the related variables. This will help to illustrate recommended design standards.