• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Pedestrian LOS

Injunplanna

I'm involved in developing Ped Guidlines for a few Transit programs....I've been searching for various Ped LOS used in developing Ped/Bike Master Plans....I've gone thru Portland, Vancouver, FDOT, GDOT, Oakland, SFO, and a few more...

Most of them are too cryptic with long formulae and infinite co-efficients. Has any one come accross alternative LOS methods that are simple to compute and have more qualitative inputs...

JNL

Cyburbian
Hi injunplanna, just saw your post. Over the past few months I have been reviewing walkability indices and ped levels of service.

This is one of the better models I've found for assessing qualitative factors (you can find the full text on the net):
Gallin, N. (2001). Quantifying Pedestrian Friendliness – Guidelines for Assessing Pedestrian Level of Service. Paper presented at Australia: Walking the 21st Century, International Conference, Perth, Western Australia, 2001.

For assessing architectural, aesthetic aspects, this is good:
Jaskiewicz, F. (2000). Pedestrian Level of Service Based on Trip Quality. Paper presented at the Transportation Research Board Urban Street Symposium, Dallas, Texas, 2000.