• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Pens

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member
We need a thread split about pens.

Pilot G2 .07 Blue.

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Moderator note:

split from RTDNTOTO

Salmissra

Cyburbian

Pilot G2 .07 Blue.
OMG that's my pen of choice too! I will buy the multi-pack just so I know I will always have one somewhere near me.

Our office supply restrictions are high enough that it's not worth trying to justify the "non-standard" regulations to get this pen.

DVD

Cyburbian
I have a Parker jotter that I love. Being a lefty I prefer a ballpoint. Faster drying ink means less smearing. I also prefer narrow tips. The .07 tip is too fat. I prefer .03 or .05. Comes from my drafting experience. .05 is the correct line width for text.

Fountain pens are just out.

AG74683

Cyburbian

Pilot G2 .07 Blue.
OMG that's my pen of choice too! I will buy the multi-pack just so I know I will always have one somewhere near me.

Our office supply restrictions are high enough that it's not worth trying to justify the "non-standard" regulations to get this pen.
That's what we use here too, although I think I might prefer the 0.5 ones.

I take my knife and scratch off the lettering and stuff from the pocket clip, that way I can identify which ones are mine.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
On my desk
Pencils from 2000 Census
Pilot G2 .07 - Black & Blue
Pilot Razor Point 2 - Red
PaperMate Flair - Red, Blue, & Green
Sharpie - Red & Black

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
uni-ball VISION ELITE Stick Roller Ball Pen, Super-Fine 0.5mm, Red Ink
Yes, this one! Except I prefer green.

In the new job, I believe it would be easier to get a Presidential pardon for mass murder than to order supplies to your actual preference. So I'll just keeping using the ones I've snagged from hotels and restaurants.

RandomPlanner

Cyburbian
On my desk curently:

-- a pen labeled from the City Center next door
-- what I can only imagine is the cheapest bic pen in existence (found in the supply cupboard)
-- a highlighter I accidentally snagged from the last employer
-- a Marriott pen from my last business trip

It's all about quality, folks.

kms

Cyburbian
I don’t have a brand preference, but as a lefty, I prefer fine ballpoint, blue ink.

Or a good #2 pencil.

MD Planner

Cyburbian
On my desk curently:

-- a pen labeled from the City Center next door
-- what I can only imagine is the cheapest bic pen in existence (found in the supply cupboard)
-- a highlighter I accidentally snagged from the last employer
-- a Marriott pen from my last business trip

It's all about quality, folks.
"Accidentally". Yeah, sure RP. Go with that. :D

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Ball-based pens: Uniball Vision Elite all the way. Fine or broad, doesn’t matter.

My preference: fountain pens. Not something high-end from Montblanc pens, but high quality "everyday carry" pens I fill myself. With ink. From bottles. About 15 years ago, I had a few Platinum Preppys -- cheap, cartridge refillable pens from Japan. A couple years later, I bought a Lamy Safari, because I wanted to have a "nice" pen, and I enjoyed writing with the Preppys. I really got hit with "the bug" about eight or nine years ago. I'm not a collector by any means, but I have about 35 fountain pens now -- vintage and modern.

Today, I'm carrying a Pilot Metropolitan in Retro Pop Green (Japan), and a blue Esterbrook J from the 1940s (USA), with a 9556 (fine writing: records and charts) nib. I try to match the ink color to the pen, too.

estromberg

Cyburbian
Pens:
TUL Ballpoint Medium Blue Ink

1582755081023.png

Pencil:
Uni Kuru Toga (Try one, it will change your life, the benefits of a free rotating inner barrel can not be understated)

1582754945002.png

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
I picked up a Sheaffer Imperial 330 (a cartridge style fountain pen from the 1970's) for next to nothing at an estate sale last year. I mean, seriously, I paid I think $6 for a box filled with various old/outdated office supplies and this little gem just happened to be in the box along with a bunch of other stuff. In the same box was also an old school Swingline 27 stapler (indestructible) which now serves as my primary stapler at the home office.

Reactions: Dan

kjel

Super Moderator
Staff member

I have the same problem. Since I rarely request office supplies, I am allowed a 12ct box of these once a year. Everyone in the office knows they are mine so they don't try and poach them.

Gedunker

Moderating
Staff member
Hello, my name is Gedunker and I have a problem.

My current love is the Uni-ball Signo Micro 207 (blue, thank you) but I am ultimately unfaithful. Sooner or later, a new love will come along and I'll drop the Uni-ball faster than you can say Staedtler or Koh-I-Noor. I have numerous large containers at home of pens (and pencils) that were once beloved but have since been pushed aside for my latest fling. Yet, I can't toss them away, I must keep them, probably until I'm gone and my children will be left to wonder, 'WTF dad?'.

It truly is a horrible burden to bear just knowing there is a pen out there that I might love better, would only I try it. Arrghhh!

Reactions: Dan

Planit

Cyburbian
I hoard pens as well Gedunker. There are 12 sitting out on my desk right now. Couldn't tell you how many more I have in my desk or at home.

I used to love a fountain pen and was able to find a disposable one for a while, but those are now gone. The one I like the most right now is a Staples OptiFlow in blue & a fine-tipped RED Sharpie.

DVD

Cyburbian
I collect all the pens from conferences and give them to my wife. We went through a phase of the kids making pens disappear for a while until I hit a national conference one year and brought home the mother load of pens. Some were even kind of nice pens.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
What’s Dan carrying today? Two TWSBI Eco pens (Taiwan), medium nib, one filled with Pilot Iroshizuku Kon-Peki (Japan), the other with KWZ Honey (Poland).

Lowland

Cyburbian
My go-to and current desk pens:

Pilot Precise V5 - Black, Blue-black, Blue, Red, Green
Pilot Petit1 pocket fountain pen - Blue-black
PaperMate Flair - Black and Red
Pigma Micron 02 - Black
Prismacolor Fine Line 05, 01, 005 - Black

My experience with the Petit1 has made me want a full-sized fountain pen, it's very pleasant to write with.

Pen-adjacent, I keep a pack of Zebra Mildliners on my desk for marking up preliminary site plans. Coloring!

DVD

Cyburbian
1582838344700.png

The other planner is a lefty and doesn't like gel pens. Otherwise I would agree that it is a good pen.

terraplnr

Cyburbian
I am good about keeping track of a lot of things, but not pens or reusable water bottles. Therefore, I don't want the responsibility of trying to keep track of an expensive pen. o_O Right now I am using a red ballpoint that just says "Staples" on it because I don't know where the blue one I had yesterday has gone to.

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
Today:

Lamy Safari in charcoal, medium nib (Germany) - Pilot Iroshizuku grey ink. A favorite of architect types.

Lamy Safari in lime green, medium nib, Akkerman #28 Groen green ink.

AG74683

Cyburbian
Today:

Lamy Safari in charcoal, medium nib (Germany) - Pilot Iroshizuku grey ink. A favorite of architect types.

Lamy Safari in lime green, medium nib, Akkerman #28 Groen green ink.
So do you have a case or some sort of dedicated area for this collection of yours? I'm picturing like a nice box, similar to where utensils for fine China sets are kept.