• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

People's Republic of ...

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
We've all heard the term used before to describe cities with a collective mindset that goes beyond liberal, into the realm of leftist and reactionary. These are places that make consider laws banning non-free trade coffee, or declaring May Day as a city holiday. What People's Republics can you think of?

The classics seem to be ...

People's Republic of Boulder
People's Republic of Berkeley
People's Republic of San Francisco
People's Republic of Santa Monica
People's Republic of Ann Arbor
People's Republic of Madison

NHPlanner

A shadow of my former self
Staff member
Peoples Republic of Cambridge (Mass)

el Guapo

Capitalist
Some at KSU called the home of the University of Kansas (AKA "KU") the People's Democratic Republic of Lawrence.

donk

Cyburbian
This a our republic. The mayor of edmundston, NB is the leader of the republic of madawaska. madawaska is the region along the borders of Quebec, Maine and NB. They take it pretty serious.

The reason is that they are not quebecois and not acadian, and want the world to know it. Here is a link to the history of the area.

BKM

Cyburbian
San Francisco politics can get pretty silly "They have the right to defecate on the public sidewalk."

There is the other side, too. :)

How about:

The Holy Caliphate of Topeka (Home of Fred Phelps)

The Saints' Theocratic Empire of Salt Lake City

The Petroleocracy of Houston

BKM

Cyburbian
Amen, Mike (I am a "Skeptical" lefty). Mumia is a cop-killing scum who has never even deigned to claim his (nonsense) innocence. Its only been the silly left.

nerudite

Cyburbian
In Northern California, Davis is often referred to as "the People's Republic of Davis". I have never heard that used for San Francisco (at least not in the seven years I lived in the Northern California region). Also, as a native Los Angelena, I've never heard of the People's Republic of Santa Monica. Berkeley and Boulder are probably the most common ones you hear from outside of the regions.

I've heard similar monikers for Austin, Bellingham (WA), and Eugene (OR) from time to time as well.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Alberta is often refered to as a "Republic"... just uh... not in the same light as the other places we are talking about. The Republic of Alberta is a conservative jab, instead of a jab at the granola munchin' peacenik type of cities we have otherwise described here. Boy has my political environment shifted... from Davis, to Portland, to Alberta... no wonder I feel so weird up here sometimes (well... that, and I just don't get the appeal of a Tim Horton's donut).

The Irish One

While Santa Monica may have some silly laws and practices, I assure you there is a very strong conservative presence there, just not the dominant one.

The Peoples Rebublic of Arcata is totally appropriate. It should be noted that Reagan country is about 7 miles south on the 101 in Eureka. All in Humboldt county.

nerudite

Cyburbian
The Irish one said:
While Santa Monica may have some silly laws and practices, I assure you there is a very strong conservative presence there, just not the dominant one.

The Peoples Rebublic of Arcata is totally appropriate. It should be noted that Reagan country is about 7 miles south on the 101 in Eureka. All in Humboldt county.
Oh yeah... Arcata... good call. A long time ago Petaluma was getting jabbed at due to their growth managment strategies of the 70s/80s... but I think they have gone to the dark side under the pressure of suburbanization.

The Irish One

I was thinking a good name would be The Peoples Republic of the Lost Coast

Petaluma home american taliban's parents.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Oh yeah...

One of the few East Coast places I can think of (as a Left Coaster) is Columbia MD. I don't know if it gets the "People's Republic" honors out east though...

biscuit

Cyburbian
While living in Richmond, VA I often heard the term People's Republic of Northern Virginia.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Dan said:

People's Republic of Santa Monica

Oh oh oh... I *remember* now. I remember my granddad calling it "Red-China-By-The-Sea" once.

donk

Cyburbian
HIJACK

A blasphemer said
(well... that, and I just don't get the appeal of a Tim Horton's donut).
How dare you question the goodness of the Tim Horton Donut. Infidel.

I'm reporting this item to Immigration, good luck getting landed immigrant status now.

What I don't understand is why people are willing to wait for 15 minutes in the drivethru line for the coffee and donut.

/HIJACK

Plan Man

Cyburbian
donk said:
What I don't understand is why people are willing to wait for 15 minutes in the drivethru line for the coffee and donut.
Cause it's the lifeblood......

Masswich

Cyburbian
Around here we get the People's Republic of Massachusetts a lot from our friends elsewhere in New England. Also, of course, People's Republic of Cambridge. Now there is the occasional Peope's Republic of Somerville since people from PRC keep moving here.

sleepy

Cyburbian
It should be noted that the celebration of May 1st--May Day--as a Labor Day occurs worldwide with the exception of the US and, perhaps, Canada. This celebration occurs in such non people's republics as Ireland, Switzerland, etc.

May Day as a labor day ironically had its origins in a bloody general strike called in Chicago on May 1, 188-- in agitation for an 8 hr. day.

It resulted in the 1st 8 hour day in the industrialized west and is thus commemorated globally.

The US Labor Day was moved to September during the red scares of the late 1910's and 20's in an effort to sanitize adn obfuscate its origins.

But the rest of the world remembers.

nerudite

Cyburbian
donk said:
HIJACK

I'm reporting this item to Immigration, good luck getting landed immigrant status now.

/HIJACK
Doh! I still have to pass the FBI fingerpint check anyway... ;)

SGB

Cyburbian
New Hampshirites have been known to call their neighbor to the west the Peoples Republic of Vermont.

Wannaplan?

Galactic Superstar
Dan said:
... What People's Republics can you think of?

...People's Republic of Ann Arbor...
I went to school in Ann Arbor. I believe it's leftist reputation masks the dominant conservative culture that prevails there. Believe it or not, Ann Arbor is quite conservative. It does have a vocal leftist counter-culture, but since that is really the only hardcore leftist POV that comes out of the State of Michigan, I can see why many people believe the town is quite liberal.

donk

Cyburbian
Ann Arbour

With a disclaimer like this for employment with the City what do you expect:

"We are proud of our diverse workforce and our commitment to equal opportunity. We do not discriminate on the basis of a person's actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, condition of pregnancy, marital status, physical or mental limitation, height, weight, source of income, family responsibility, educational association, sexual orientation, gender identity or HIV status in any aspect of our hiring or employment process. "

I personally like the mental limitation part. Does that mean that they will hire stupid people?

And don't forget about the annual hash bash.

Lee Nellis

Cyburbian
Montana has gotten increasingly conservative during the last 20 years as militia from the south and Reaganites from California continue to move in. The labor-liberal tradition has been almost entirely lost in that state, much to its detriment. The same is true of a lesser degree of Idaho and Colorado, both are now more conservative than 20 years ago.

Columbia, MD is not a People's Republic, but that term is often used to refer to the interesting little DC 'burb of Takoma Park, MD.

The Irish One

sort of a Militias Republic of Montana.

OK in my part of the country we have the
Peoples Republic of OB,
that is Ocean Beach in San Diego.

BKM

Cyburbian
OB

But how can you have a revolution/protest when its 75 and the surf's up all the time? :)

Dan

Dear Leader
Staff member
[ot]Good man! He get apartment on Great Leader Street when he come to Pyongyang. He enjoy good food. Best cold noodle in world. Big Saint Bernard. He like.

Maybe he get job with Pyongyang Planning Department. They best in world. No traffic jam.[/ot]