• We're a fun, friendly, and diverse group of planners, placemakers, students, and other folks who found their people here. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! Use your email address, or register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Peppers

Tom R

Cyburbian
OK, my garden's got jalapenos, Thai "little bullets" and habaneros. What's your "pleasure."

Tom, now what, exactly, are you going to do with all those peppers, aside from burning all your tastebuds off and getting an ulcer? :)

Tom R

Cyburbian
peppers

Good question. I make killer chilli and I'm going to try to make my own hot sauce.
I've read not long ago that some scientists have found that the same stuff that makes the peppers hot has been found to kill skin cancer cells.
Seriously, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the really hot ones.

GeekyBoy

Cyburbian
Tom R:

I've heard (read?) that you can crush those chili, mix it with water and use it as a natural insecticide.

GB

Tom R

Cyburbian
peppers

El Guapo said:
I'll trade you El Guapo's Kimchee for a peck of pickled peppers!
If these habaneros are as hot as I've heard, a peck might reach a critical mass and kablooey!

plannerkat

Cyburbian
Re: peppers

Tom R said:
Good question. I make killer chilli and I'm going to try to make my own hot sauce.
I've read not long ago that some scientists have found that the same stuff that makes the peppers hot has been found to kill skin cancer cells.
Seriously, I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the really hot ones.
Throw 'em in a dehydrator then grind them up for your very own special blend of chili powder or curry. Coffee grinders work well for this purpose, but I would advise against using the same one that your coffee beans go through. Unless of course you REALLY want to wanke up quickly!

Habanero

Cyburbian
oh.. and be careful after you go picking.. I've got pals that have picked and then needed to.. go....and then had a severe burning sensation which required a long milk bath soak..

The habaneros aren't too hot, they taste great if you mix them with the sweeter salsas, IMHO.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Tom R said:
OK, my garden's got jalapenos, Thai "little bullets" and habaneros. What's your "pleasure."
I love jalapenos, the dried red chilis in thai food, and pepperencini (excuse the bad spelling there). I love just about anything hot. Tabasco, wasabi... whatever!

Warning on the habaneros... don't eat them whole unless you've tried them cut up in recipes first. This guy I knew at the City of Oak Harbor dared me to eat three in a row. I had a blind date that night that *did not* go well. I think he was wondering why I had to go to the washroom so often... finally at the end I had to 'fess up and we both got a good laugh out of it.

BKM

Cyburbian
Tasteless Post Warning!

One of the local grocery stores, to inaugerate their new "hot stuff" section, held a hot sauce tasting contest. The more hot sauces you tasted, the more chances to win a prize in a drawing. God, they had some scorchers! I got through 13 out of 30. I had to stop at the office restroom on the way back home.

The contest was shut down by the police because they had to call the ambulance twice for people who pushed beyond their limits :( :)

Tom R

Cyburbian
inedible

Dave's Insanity is the hottest stuff I have ever tried to consume. It's inedible.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Re: inedible

Tom R said:
Dave's Insanity is the hottest stuff I have ever tried to consume. It's inedible.
Dave's is yummy. I like it on baked potatoes with sour cream. Mmmmm... spices up the cold, cold winters. I better stock up... snow is in the forecast for Monday!

Tom R

Cyburbian
Re: Re: inedible

nerudite said:

Dave's is yummy. I like it on baked potatoes with sour cream. Mmmmm... spices up the cold, cold winters. I better stock up... snow is in the forecast for Monday!
Well, maybe I'm a more of a light weight than I thought.

donk

Cyburbian
I like to dry them then soak for 3 or 4 months in olive oil. Them use the olive oil to metre out the heat for different dishes.

Tom R

Cyburbian
hot

donk said:
I like to dry them then soak for 3 or 4 months in olive oil. Them use the olive oil to metre out the heat for different dishes.
Good idea.

I put a few of the Thai peppers in a jar of pickled green tomatoes. They gave them the little bit of a bite they needed.

boiker

Cyburbian
Re: Re: Re: inedible

Tom R said:

Well, maybe I'm a more of a light weight than I thought.
Tom, I practically spilled dave's all over a burrito.. I teared up halfway through.. it tasted soo good even though it was soo hot. Now, i take more heed to the warnings on the bottle.

donk

Cyburbian
I have one question / comment

Area we talking about hot just for the sake of hot (ie burn your friends mouth and laugh at them) or are we talking about heat with a specific flavour and subtle nuances. (ie it comes on slowly then builds to flame that can melt lead, then leaves a pleasant aftertaste of the pepper itself)

Heat should never overpower tthe flavour of what is being cooked, only exaggerate the flavour and provide a genuine opportunity to sweat.

nerudite

Cyburbian
Mostly I like the heat to complement the other flavors, as you said donk. But sometimes a rush of hot stuff (like wasabi burning your sinuses) feels pretty good.

I have a very high tolerance to spicy. When I use stuff like Dave's, I usually just splash a little onto something... I don't douse things in it or anything. I like some non-spicy hot sauces too... like Tabasco green is incredibly yummy on eggs.

donk

Cyburbian
Tabasco green is like salt and pepper at my house. The new habernero tabasco is also good. In ottatwa there is a store across from the US emabssy that specializes in hot sauces.

http://www.chillychiles.com

They do mail order.

Top Bottom