• Ongoing coronavirus / COVID-19 discussion: how is the pandemic affecting your community, workplace, and wellness? 🦠

Working from home? So are we. Come join us! Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no social distancing.

Perceptions of Illinois

H

Cyburbian
To me Illinois shall be known as the state with the most Vanity Plates per capita in the US. :)

Why do you all want your names on your license plates???

Seabishop

Cyburbian
H said:
To me Illinois shall be known as the state with the most Vanity Plates per capita in the US. :)

Haven't been to RI, huh? ;) Small population (1 mill) but the density to show your car off.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
H said:

Yeah, I noticed this also. Evidently, back in the 1980s, an Illinois driver could get vanity plates for only a couple of $ more than standard issue, so long as they ended in a number. My friend even got them and I've been giving him $hit about it ever since.

Seabishop

Cyburbian
A good southern Illinois movie is "Stevie" a documentary about a former Big Brother who goes back to rural S. Illinois to revisit the troubled kid he mentored who has since become a criminal and possible child molester. I can't remember the town specifically, but I was surprised at how "southern" it seemed there.

mendelman

Unfrozen Caveman Planner
Staff member
having recently (11/2 year ago) moved to Chicago I am completely baffled when I think that the state is as large as it is. I think about southern Wisconsin and Michigan LP more than I think about even central IL. Springfield seems far away.

Growing up in northern Michigan, Cairo, IL location is practically the South to me. (sorry, real Southerners)

Off-topic
I have been to New Orleans and then drove to the Florida panhandle and that is definitely the South. I really liked central Mississippi.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
H said:
What is this FIB-TAB you speak of?

In Wisconsin, you run into people from illinois during the summer months and long weekends, and deer hunting seeson. This variety of person is called a FIB (F'n Illinois Bastard).

The second veriety is seen mostly durring the summer months. They often disturb the peace of the lakes and make fishing miserable. These are known as FIB-TAB's (F'n Illinois Bastards Towing A Boat).

:)

H

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:
In Wisconsin, you run into people from illinois during the summer months and long weekends, and deer hunting seeson. This variety of person is called a FIB (F'n Illinois Bastard).

The second veriety is seen mostly durring the summer months. They often disturb the peace of the lakes and make fishing miserable. These are known as FIB-TAB's (F'n Illinois Bastards Towing A Boat).
:)

THAT IS GREAT!! LOL!! :-D

B'lieve

Cyburbian
sounds just like how the Pennsylvania navy invades Maryland every summer. :D
(We have miles upon miles of waterfront and a nice big bay.)

Pennsylvanians by the hundreds invade our waterways all summer, and New Joisians and New Yawkers swarm over our campuses and surrounding neighborhoods by the thousands (literally) the rest of the year. Not that I'm complaining, some of them are now friends of mine, but the sheer numbers... I can sympathize with Zoning Goddess. Almost. At least ours go back part of the year ;)

Jeff

Cyburbian
Duke Of Dystopia said:

So are they related to JOPs (just outside Philly)

Referring to those suburbanites you meet who claim to be from Philly. Oh yeah, where. King of Prussia.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
H said:
THAT IS GREAT!! LOL!! :-D

Except that its not funny.

FIBs are almost single-handedly destroying Wisconsin, contributing to overcrowding, noise, traffic congestion, pullution and urban sprawl. I've heard that some counties in Wisconsin now have over 50% out-of-state ownership, a significant number by elitist Chicagoans. Small lake cottages are being torn down for monster houses and gnashing condos, as the affluent and powerful continue to drive up real estate prices and hotel/cottage rental rates across the state. (Places like Lake Geneva might as well be in Illinois as the local economy long destroyed as local merchants are driven out by high rents - displaced by botiques and other establisments plugging gaudy, overpriced totem merchandise.) Where you once saw local kids going down to Woolworth's for a 50 cent soda, you now see scores of FIBs carrying shopping bags with the twine handles after a day of ritualistic shopping and spending.

No doubt, middle and low income Wisconsinites are being displaced across the state just like in the ruined bedroom communities of metro Chicago. When will these people ever, ever stop.

And as a further kick in the teeth, FIBs are utilizing Wisconsin's great state parks without paying a dime in taxes.

Last edited:

jordanb

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:

FIBs are almost single-handedly destroying Wisconsin, contrubuting to overcrowding, noise, traffic congestion, pullution and urban sprawl. I've heard that some counties in Wisconsin now have over 50% out-of-state ownership, a significant number by elitist Chicagoans.

I'm betting Napervillians, Schaumburgians, and Oak Parkians are actually a bigger problem than Chicagoans.

And as a further kick in the teeth, FIBs are utilizing Wisconsin's great state parks without paying a dime in taxes.

They've been doing that to Chicago's great city park system for years. That's why I'm pushing my proposal to charge everyone without a city sticker $20 to park at a city park.

Super Amputee Cat

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
I'm betting Napervillians, Schaumburgians, and Oak Parkians are actually a bigger problem than Chicagoans.

That's what I meant...suburban Chicago. City as well as suburb: Elitists in general whether they live in Lincoln Park or some yuppie hinterland like Oakbrook.

boiker

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:
That's what I meant...suburban Chicago. City as well as suburb: Elitists in general whether they live in Lincoln Park or some yuppie hinterland like Oakbrook.

don't you mean "the barringtons"?

lake barrington
south barrington
barrington hills
barrington

did i forget any?

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
I'm betting Napervillians, Schaumburgians, and Oak Parkians are actually a bigger problem than Chicagoans....

Your not getting it. Perceptually, there is NO differance.

Secondly, you don't want to charge a $20 parking fee to help the parks. You just hate cars period. You just get to hijack a worthwhile issue with that argument.

In WI, people FIB's from Illinois are a double edged sword. Many of them in fact, grew up in WI and had to leave due to lack of jobs. They did ok, then did thier best effort to get back home as well as make a living. Can't say I blame them. WI is a beutiful state. Plan to get back myself some day.

jordanb

Cyburbian
No, I hate it that suburbanites use services that I pay for with my taxes without contributing a dime. The Chicago city parks are prime examples. Notice I said to charge people WITHOUT A CITY STICKER. That means people who live in the city and pay taxes to support the parks don't have to pay, just the people who live in the suburbs and don't support the parks through taxes.

steveanne

jordanb said:
No, I hate it that suburbanites use services that I pay for with my taxes without contributing a dime. The Chicago city parks are prime examples. Notice I said to charge people WITHOUT A CITY STICKER. That means people who live in the city and pay taxes to support the parks don't have to pay, just the people who live in the suburbs and don't support the parks through taxes.

I might be reading this the wrong way, but what about tourists who want to see Lincoln Park Zoo, Buckingham Fountain, etc. You want to charge them $20 to see all the great things that make Chicago what it is? Not that I am for or against it. I don't drive downtown, I take the L and pay for my parking at the Rosemont station. I'm just curious as to where you are going with this.

JNA

Cyburbian Plus
I prefer Southern Illinois
Shawnee NF- Garden of the Gods
Tunnel Hill Rail-to-Trail
Carbondale

Xing500

Cyburbian
Southern Illinois is beautiful, and way different than the narth. Shawnee Nat. Forest is beautiful , and the wetlands... WOAH!

H

Cyburbian
Super Amputee Cat said:

I hear ya loud and clear. I live in Florida remember. I see it happen like that everywhere, everyday. I wish I could stop it , but don’t think that is in my realm of power. In fact, our governor encourages this type of activity. :(

jordanb

Cyburbian
steveanne said:
I might be reading this the wrong way, but what about tourists who want to see Lincoln Park Zoo, Buckingham Fountain, etc. You want to charge them $20 to see all the great things that make Chicago what it is? Not that I am for or against it. I don't drive downtown, I take the L and pay for my parking at the Rosemont station. I'm just curious as to where you are going with this.

I've seen this argument before, and I don't really buy it. Most tourists fly or take Amtrak so they don't have their cars with them anyway, those that do drive in usually stay at hotels that have parking. I remember coming up here by car once with the family when I was little, we parked our car in the hotel garage and used taxis and busses to get around.

The only people this would target is suburbanites who drive into the city to use city taxpayer funded services.

By the way, there is no free park parking in Grant park (where Buckingham Fountain is located). The nearest garage is at Millineum Park, and it's already at least $10.

Duke Of Dystopia

Cyburbian
jordanb said:
No, I hate it that suburbanites use services that I pay for with my taxes without contributing a dime. ....

Every time I buy a freakin beer inside the borders of cook county and the city proper of Chicago, I help pay for the parks. Every time I buy something in the borders of cook county and/or the city proper of chicago, I help to pay for those things. Don't give me that crap that suburbanites don't help the city of chicago. Thats why the tax rate in chicago and cook county is hiked up, to help capture that. Stay at the airport, please. One wonders if you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth. Go to the lake shore from the suburbs just for a stroll in the park and not pay for snacks or anything else? Back it up. I have never made the trip into chicago and not left money there. Your argument of free riders from the suburbs in the parks is way off.

Bringing this back on target to the thread.

This is exactly what we run into in WI with many people from illinois. Individually we deal well with them. They are some of the most fun people to drink with the night before and the day of the football games. They have a sense of humor and they like to have fun. As noted above, many of them are Wisconsinites.

Thank the Gods for the electoral college though.

Cardinal

Cyburbian
I am against any idea of charging a fee for city parks. By this, I do not mean things like zoos or museums, or state parks which are inherently different than a city park. They are intended for the enjoyment of residents, true, but is it right to prohibit others from using them? In fact, this is what happens when you charge a fee. I grew up three miles from Lake Michigan in the northern suburbs of Chicago. As a kid, I could ride my bike to the beach. Unfortunately, if I wanted to use the beach I had to pay a fee. This was certainly not because it cost the community money to hire lifeguards. It was intended to keep out Those People who might offend the all-white, upper-income residents of the community. Oregon has it right. The beach belongs to everyone.

H

Cyburbian
Cardinal said:
I am against any idea of charging a fee for city parks.... (snip).....The beach belongs to everyone.

Just like Miami Beach belongs to the thugs who will mug you if you should decide to take a moonlight stroll? Just like Miami Beach bathrooms belong to the homeless who harass you should you decide to take a leak? SCREW that!!! I think a small charge would be a good screening process. Why should only crackheads get to take moonlight walks????????????

Bangorian

B'lieve said:
sounds just like how the Pennsylvania navy invades Maryland every summer. :D
(We have miles upon miles of waterfront and a nice big bay.)

Pennsylvanians by the hundreds invade our waterways all summer, and New Joisians and New Yawkers swarm over our campuses and surrounding neighborhoods by the thousands (literally) the rest of the year.

You think you've got it bad, try living in "Vacationland"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steveanne

jordanb said:
I've seen this argument before, and I don't really buy it. Most tourists fly or take Amtrak so they don't have their cars with them anyway, those that do drive in usually stay at hotels that have parking. I remember coming up here by car once with the family when I was little, we parked our car in the hotel garage and used taxis and busses to get around.

The only people this would target is suburbanites who drive into the city to use city taxpayer funded services.

Like I said, I really stand on the fence on this one. I agree in some ways because I think Chicago's transportation system is top-notch and most places can be reached pretty easily with the help of an el train, bus, shuttle, train, cab, etc. So why not charge

But I also stand by my argument that it seems that tourists would be (in a way) punished for visiting a gorgeous city if they drove by car.
Then I remember my days back in Orlando, and tourists had to pay for everything... usually at a huge markup - be it parking, bottled water, food, etc.

I'm going to take a nap. Oh wait, I'm at work. Crap.

pete-rock

Cyburbian
boiker said:
don't you mean "the barringtons"?

lake barrington
south barrington
barrington hills
barrington

did i forget any?

Yes, you did. The Village of Fox River Valley Gardens changed its name this past summer to... Port Barrington.

BKM

Cyburbian
My god, the names of subdivision streets out here are bad enough. I would hate to live in a place where every tiny subdivision is its own little incorporate village with its own silly pretentious name. Fox River Valley Gardens? geez. :)