Tracking / permitting / management Permit tracking and code enforcement software

poncho

Cyburbian
Permitting software

Has anyone had any experience with permitting software. Mainly for inspections, septic and building. I need it to integrate with our GIS. I know about CityView, but I don't know anyone who has used this. Comments, suggestions.

PlannerGirl

Cyburbian Plus
When I worked with Greensboro NC we had Keane build us our own plan tracking and permit program to the tune of 800,000 it has been written up by the APA and a few others a few times so there should be info out there on it. Fantastic but Id caution you not to work with Keane what a cluster they were to deal with.

If you have more detailed questions or want more info on the program let me know, I was on of the team leaders for the design.

I happened to see a demonstration of GIS and permitting software when I was at the ESRI conference in San Diego last summer. Some folks out of the Atlanta area. The conference was quite hectic and I was a student in the early part of my GIS certificate program, so I really can't tell you anything about the software in any kind of meaningful technical terms. But I did a search and came up with this article: http://www.accela.com/usa/corporate/archive/2003/pr_fultonCO_081203.htm

I hope that helps.

Chet

Cyburbian Emeritus
The place I just left uses Acella. It has a basic built - in GIS component, but it is not what I would call an integrated GIS. We got dupped into buying it and then couldnt implement the GIS component without running on two platforms (Acella and ESRI). Check it out before you make the plunge!

Rem

Cyburbian
The two companies with largest market share in Australia are:

GEAC The relevant product is 'Pathway'. I understand the parent is a US company. Pathway is, I believe an Australian product that GEAC bought when they took over an Australian company, Stowe. We use their old system (TCS) and will migrate to Pathway in March 2004.

Civica Their product is, I understand, more suited to smaller organisations. I have no experience with their software.

We use something called Permit Works, which is great for tracking building permits, planning/zoning permits, and code enforcement. There's a component that is the master behind each parcel (ownership and other data) that we use for GIS.

I don't do it on a regular basis, but the conversion of tables to our system (we use ArcMap 8.2) works well. I would sugguest that you make sure whatever software you use is not only compatable with your current GIS software, but that the interface is easy/seamless as possible.

Otis

Cyburbian
Recently I asked about this on an Oregon planners list. The responses I got were favorable regarding Accela and Blackbear. I was told to stay away from Avaner.

One thing to consider (two, actually) is ensuring that whatever system you go to is easily compatible with your GIS (we use MapInfo) and with whatever software your finance department uses.

Holy old threads, Batman! :D

OK - can we get an update to this list? What permitting programs do you use in your land use/zoning/building permits office(s)? Are they helpful?

Would you rather sometimes just use an Xcel spreadsheet, or a running list on paper?

Is anyone familiar with the program 'CDP'? Community Development Partner? It's by Gov Partner?

Thanks.

Permitting Software

The City of Edmonton built a system called POSSE - which they sold to Computronix. Here at the City of Calgary - we use it; and it seems to be pretty good. It's got a few things which are a little whacky; but with time you get used to it.

When I worked for HRM (Halifax Regional Municipality) on the east coast; they used Hansen 7. I know Hansen has a web-based version now - but it worked really well (I found) since you couldn't progress in the process until everything was done.

Permit tracking software

I'm doing research to find out who is using what type of Permit Tracking Software and is it working the way you thought it might? How much did it cost to implement etc... Any information that you can provide would be helpful. I work in a community of 25,000 and we see approx. 1000 permits being reviewed and issued each year.

ColoGI

Cyburbian
Did you use the 'Search' function? IIRC last summer there was a fairly extensive thread on this. Maybe spring.

JMo

Cyburbian
Athens-Clarke County just implemented EnerGov - GIS based / Silverlight - multiple departments (Building Inspection, Planning, Public Works mainly - also Public Utilities, Fire, Health, Solid Waste, Health, Transportation, etc..

giff57

Corn Burning Fool
Staff member
I'm looking for a new product. Does anyone have a system that you like? We are a town of around 3,000 with some growth.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
I've used MyGov with some success. I know one thing for sure: stay the hell away from the InCode family of products. Words cannot describe my disdain for that program.

I've also heard good things about a program called MyPermitNow, which was developed by a Council of Government in Louisiana. Several cities in Central Texas are converting to it, and we are likely to join them.