• It's easy to sign up and post! Register with a working email address (we won't give it to others, or spam you), or through Facebook, Twitter, or a Microsoft ID. Google and LinkedIn coming soon. 🙂

Tracking/permitting/management Permit tracking and code enforcement software

I am with Navigar and we provide a customized Permit and Compliance solution that automates and streamlines your Permit Tracking system. Our solution is focused on small and mid size municipalities. If you are interested and provide me contact information I will be happy to talk with you for a few minutes and see if it is a good fit.

Holy old threads, Batman! :D

OK - can we get an update to this list? What permitting programs do you use in your land use/zoning/building permits office(s)? Are they helpful?

Would you rather sometimes just use an Xcel spreadsheet, or a running list on paper?

Is anyone familiar with the program 'CDP'? Community Development Partner? It's by Gov Partner?

Thanks.
Bump to ask this question again...

The City of Edmonton built a system called POSSE - which they sold to Computronix. Here at the City of Calgary - we use it; and it seems to be pretty good. It's got a few things which are a little whacky; but with time you get used to it.

When I worked for HRM (Halifax Regional Municipality) on the east coast; they used Hansen 7. I know Hansen has a web-based version now - but it worked really well (I found) since you couldn't progress in the process until everything was done.
City of Dallas has POSSE for building inspections and historic preservation. It's a bloated program that is not easily adapted to different departments, and is therefore limited in application here. Yes it talks to our GIS, but since it not suited for zoning or platting, we have a real hard time getting it do produce what we need to produce, outside of a standard checklist-type staff report. Our Code COmpliance dept has a different program, and POSSE won't talk to it, either.

Historic Pres converted to it several years ago. Since then, the talking heads discovered that the way the system is configured means every year we have to pay the POSSE people to update the system to pull current Appraisal District info, update the user list, update tracking and update file linkage. So, as a result of that finding, we haven't updated since 2006.

As a user of it, I find the must-update-every-other-entry a waste of time, and the list of operations required to get to the staff report is seriously crazy. I found some short cuts and shaved about 10 minutes off the time for a routine maintenance request entry, but otherwise it's a known bad program that I would otherwise like to replace with something a) more user-friendly b) more adaptable so other divisions and departments can use it c) more intigrative with other software (not including GIS - it does fine there so far) and d) less counter-intuitive.

Raf

As Featured in "High Times"
I am re-opening this thread for some advice.. We our looking into replacing our custom design software with something more internet based since our programmer passed on. We have had demos from Mygov, Citizen Serve, and Comcate? Well the last one sucked, so we were intrigued with CS and mygov. Any other suggestions out there? We have a few stipulations:

1. It needs to have mobile support, ie use of ios or andriod support for tablet/smartphone use
2. California has a complicated building permit fee system (based on evaluation). If a system can handle that, it would be great.
3. Software must track routing to various departments, ie, a plan set submitted to PW, Building, Fire and Planning, simultaneously. Our director is adamant that the software not be linear in procedure as in goes to one department first, than another.
4. Legacy data. did you import your legacy data into the new system and did it actually work?

Thanks for any additional tips!

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
I am re-opening this thread for some advice.. We our looking into replacing our custom design software with something more internet based since our programmer passed on. We have had demos from Mygov, Citizen Serve, and Comcate? Well the last one sucked, so we were intrigued with CS and mygov. Any other suggestions out there? We have a few stipulations:

1. It needs to have mobile support, ie use of ios or andriod support for tablet/smartphone use
2. California has a complicated building permit fee system (based on evaluation). If a system can handle that, it would be great.
3. Software must track routing to various departments, ie, a plan set submitted to PW, Building, Fire and Planning, simultaneously. Our director is adamant that the software not be linear in procedure as in goes to one department first, than another.
4. Legacy data. did you import your legacy data into the new system and did it actually work?

Thanks for any additional tips!
I think myGov will get you where you want to be.

If you can get MyPermitNow somehow, I would try. It is entirely cloud-based and designed to work with mobile devices in the field, and it was actually developed by a government group rather than some manipulation of crappy financial software. South Central Planning and Development Commission of Louisiana is the contact. In Central Texas, they have contracted with the Capital Area Council of Government to offer the software--I imagine they could do something similar with a regional commission in California who could then work with you as clients. It is kind of nice as far as procurement goes--it is an interlocal agreement between governments rather than a bidded procurement. They are able to customize processes well in my experience and I know they can do evaluation-based fee calculation because a nearby city does that with them. And it can integrate with your financial software (making your finance department happy). Also, it allows review by multiple reviewers simultaneously.

Inexpensive scalable solution

I know this thread is about three years old. However, if you are still looking for a solution for your agency, I would like to point you in the direction of PermitTrax by Bitco Software, LLC. They provide a customizable land management suite and focus there services towards small and medium municipal agencies.

Been involved in more than one effort to implement off the shelf permitting software. None have gone well. We now use an in house program based on a simple Access database and it works great. It's just too hard to customize a piece of software built in an office park for the nuance of a specific city's ordinances and processes. Save the money and use it for inhouse or consulting software assistance.

Suburb Repairman

moderator in moderation
There's a more extensive discussion of permit software in this thread.

Moderator note:

Nevermind... decided it would better if I did everyone a solid and merged a few related threads...

SR

AG74683

Cyburbian
Yep, we use it and we like it.
A little late to the party! We actually ended up going with Iworq starting March of last year (almost a year now). Could not be happier with the product. Incredibly easy to use, great to adapt to whatever circumstance you need, and it has a very low cost since there are no per seat licenses.

OK, want to bump this again. The powers that be want to move away from our in-house software (which actually works fairly well) and go with an off-the-shelf package that can be part of an enterprise-wide seamless software package for everything from finances to permitting. They are looking at Tyler's MUNIS and Energov.

What do folks think of this software? Particularly if you have a complex and somewhat unique permitting system (lots of types of Site Plan Review, etc.)?

I think myGov will get you where you want to be.

If you can get MyPermitNow somehow, I would try. It is entirely cloud-based and designed to work with mobile devices in the field, and it was actually developed by a government group rather than some manipulation of crappy financial software. South Central Planning and Development Commission of Louisiana is the contact. In Central Texas, they have contracted with the Capital Area Council of Government to offer the software--I imagine they could do something similar with a regional commission in California who could then work with you as clients. It is kind of nice as far as procurement goes--it is an interlocal agreement between governments rather than a bidded procurement. They are able to customize processes well in my experience and I know they can do evaluation-based fee calculation because a nearby city does that with them. And it can integrate with your financial software (making your finance department happy). Also, it allows review by multiple reviewers simultaneously.
I'm getting MyPermitNow in a few months - I'm in love with that software probably more than I should admit. It is seriously fantastic, it isn't so GIS-heavy that it won't work for smaller cities, and the cost is very reasonable. You can break up the modules as well, so if you only want permits and planning projects in the system, you can choose those two portions only. I also really liked that it allows digital submitting, and a person cannot sip a step in the process or proceed to the next step. The only drawback I had is that we didn't have standard operating procedures in place (it was more of the Swedish Chef approach - bork bork bork) so we have had to create that in order to get the system created. Not having to go for bids was also a perk.

OK, want to bump this again. The powers that be want to move away from our in-house software (which actually works fairly well) and go with an off-the-shelf package that can be part of an enterprise-wide seamless software package for everything from finances to permitting. They are looking at Tyler's MUNIS and Energov.

What do folks think of this software? Particularly if you have a complex and somewhat unique permitting system (lots of types of Site Plan Review, etc.)?
I love BS&A. I have used it a lot in the past and thought all the modules integrated very well.

rickster

Cyburbian

One of the cities I work for was contemplating Tyler MUNIS software but decided to keep their in-house software. I never got to test the software. From what I was told, MUNIS was too expensive. The base model of software is reasonably priced, but if you want the extra bells and whistles (the stuff they were showing my co-workers) it costs a lot more. It cost too much for the small upgrades over the in-house software (and this is a very affluent city). But the finance division did switch to the MUNIS software.