• Cyburbia is a friendly big tent, where we share our experiences and thoughts about urban planning practice, planning adjacent topics, and whatever else comes to mind. No ads, no spam, no echo chambers. Create your FREE Cyburbia ID, and join us today! You can also register through your Reddit, Facebook, Google, Twitter, or Microsoft account.

Permitted uses on nonprofit property initially zoned for a school

Gonzinator

Our nonprofit owns and is located on property that was formerly charter school property. Initially, the land was zoned with a special use permit for education. We would like to rent out spaces in our buildings on our property. However, we are unsure if, being zoned as we are, if the person renting could run a commercial business there. Can anyone help me understand what is/isn't allowed under a special use permit for education?
Thanks very much.

Last edited by a moderator:

Maister

Chairman of the bored
Staff member
Our nonprofit owns and is located on property that was formerly charter school property. Initially, the land was zoned with a special use permit for education. We would like to rent out spaces in our buildings on our property. However, we are unsure if, being zoned as we are, if the person renting could run a commercial business there. Can anyone help me understand what is/isn't allowed under a special use permit for education?
Thanks very much.
Special land use permits are usually granted specific to a particular use.

The answer to the question is going to depend on the community you're talking about and which zoning district the property falls under in that community's zoning code; for example: I-1 Light industrial, R-1 Single Family Residential, or C-1 General Commercial. For each of these zoning districts, the zoning code will likely list a number of principle permitted uses and/or special or conditional land uses that may be conducted within that zoning district (including your location).

Where is the property in question?